Polish P-64
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Polish P-64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Polish P-64

Since there's a ton of Polish P-64s on the market now, as low as $149.00, I'm surprised there's no thread here about them.
The pistol was the Police and Military sidearm for about 25-30 years in Poland. It uses the 9x18mm cartridge, which is fairly powerful. I would expect its painful to be on the receiving end, too.
I was carrying a .32 cal. Colt 1903 (too small), after many years of a Taurus 92AFS (too big), until I found the P-64. Its very very accurate, with a pretty good kick. Though it is small, about the size of the Colt, it still weighs a pound-and-a-half. It has the look and feel of a well-made firearm.
It has become my "daily driver."
Anybody else out there holding one of these?
Bil

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i purchased two a couple years back using my C&R from S.O.G.

they are great shooting little pistols...very accurate!! gotta love that decock safety

i have CCW, carried the P-64 for a while & love it! have you ever tried the CZ-82's??if not check into one,you want regret it i carry my C&R CZ-82 70%+ of the time for concealed carry..it has a great trigger DA/SA,with a lil better accuracy,12+1 cap. & still fits in pocket

what ammo are you feeding your p-64?
i've tried a few diffrent brands & it seems to digest all!!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had good luck with Fiochi and am currently loaded with Silver Bear JHP. Seems like it'll eat anything with brass primers, but not steel primers.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Another proud P-64 owner here!

I bought mine from JG Sales a few years ago and it looks like it's brand new. The finish on this gun puts modern parkerized guns to absolute shame! I kept in my carry rotation for about two years until my wife found it one day and took a liking to it. Now it's her "car gun". At 7 yards, I can shoot tighter groups with the P-64 than I can any of my other carry guns. It's been an absolute pleasure to have. You can't make that gun malfunction. Dirty old Brown Bear ammo ain't nothing for that gun!

It's what I like to call "a killer on both ends"! About 100 rounds is all I can handle at one time. I've been toying with the idea of getting some custom Marschal grips for it. I hear the wider wood grips help distribute the recoil forces a little better.

I know one thing, I've spent a lot more fun guns that didn't have near the reliability and finish that my P-64 has. It's one gun that I doubt I would ever part with. It's one of the few exceptions to the motto I have of "you get what you pay for".

Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

"Dirty old Brown Bear ammo ain't nothing for that gun!"
-Olympus-
I read on P64Resource.com that ammo with a steel primer will eventually break the firing pin, which is why I've stayed away from Brown Bear. I thought it had a steel primer.
Is Brown Bear steel or brass?
I am seriously afraid of breaking the firing pin, as they are few and far between, although I know of one for sale. Just hate to spend $30-$35 for a part I may or may not need. And can't find anyone making them (or safeties, either.)
Thanks,
bil

Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Brown Bear is steel cased ammo, but I don't know what the primers are made of. There are plenty of people shooting Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammo in their P-64s. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'm still trying to shoot up the last 500 rounds of Brown Bear that I bought online. The gun is a serious workhorse and I doubt you'll want to shoot it enough to potentially break a firing pin anyway.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can just look at the bottom of the cartridge. If its yellow its brass. The problem of the broken firing pin is said to happen with under about 300 rounds fired. Apparently the steel primer is pierced by the firing pin and causes it to bend and/or break. That website
has several people talking about their broken pins.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

I will check the Brown Bear ammo when I get a chance. Doubt it's brass though.

I can promise you more than 300 rounds of Brown Bear have been through my gun without any problems.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here's that forum if you want to check it out. Whole site is interesting, good ideas on how to reduce the heavy DA pull, etc, etc....
The Unofficial P64 Resource Forum • View topic - p-64 firing pin

Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil1943
Here's that forum if you want to check it out. Whole site is interesting, good ideas on how to reduce the heavy DA pull, etc, etc....
The Unofficial P64 Resource Forum • View topic - p-64 firing pin
Yeah, I've been on there. I was pretty active when I first got the gun. I've done all the spring changes and everything. I think I used the same screen name there too. Bunch of good folks over there.