Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > police carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185
Hello justartin, Glock has about 65% of the police business in this country, at least that's what they tell us in the armorers schools. I am retired from a rather long stint in LE and have been part of the hiring process on a number of occasions. I hope you won't be offended if I offer some advice. The process in being hired into LE is rather lengthy. So many people I've interviewed don't really understand how challenging it is. The recruitment process will involve a written application of course,written test, oral board, psych. evaluation, physical, physical agility test, a backgound investigation back to the day the person was born, polygraph and perhaps a practical situations type test. If an applicant survives that process, then it's on to the police academy, and if successsful on to the FTO part of the process for several months. At any stage, for just about any reason, an applicant can be disqualified and no longer considered. I have seen applicants dismissed at about all of these stages, including being fired during the last few days of their probationary year. I'm describing the process in Arizona, but I suspect other states are at least similar. My point is, to try to predict which pistol you would be carrying some day as an officer would be problematical indeed. Anyway sir, I wish you the best of luck should you decide to pursue a career in law enforcement.
I enjoy the challenge, being involved and teaching Karate for many years has prepared me for such challenges. I know most people don't have the same opinion of Karate as I do, but I also do few people have seen or experienced the kind of Karate I have been taught and practiced.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #22

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Last year we changed from G17 to S&W mp.40, smoother trigger but time will tell it's true quality.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The duty gun should be your last worry right now. As has been stated, there is a TON to worry about before the specific firearm comes into play.

My department allows me the freedom to carry pretty much what I want...we have a large approved firearms list.

I carried a Glock 17 for a long time, but now it is mainly my M&P .45 that rides with me. Thinking about picking up a full size M&P .40 since I already have the compact...they will make a good primary/backup pair. I have an LCR in .357 that I carry as backup right now.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War