police carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > police carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default police carry

What do the majority of police agencies carry. Do you think they would tell you what their service weapon is if I were to ask. The main reason I ask is I'm looking into become an officer and would like to purchase a gun that I would be carrying if I were to join the force.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272
What do the majority of police agencies carry. Do you think they would tell you what their service weapon is if I were to ask. The main reason I ask is I'm looking into become an officer and would like to purchase a gun that I would be carrying if I were to join the force.
Definitely glock is number one used.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Almost every cop I see I ask what he is carrying. I start with a friendly conversation then mention I am trying to learn about guns and ask them what they are carrying. I have noticed many carry Heckler and Kochs. Some do carry Glocks.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hello justartin, Glock has about 65% of the police business in this country, at least that's what they tell us in the armorers schools. I am retired from a rather long stint in LE and have been part of the hiring process on a number of occasions. I hope you won't be offended if I offer some advice. The process in being hired into LE is rather lengthy. So many people I've interviewed don't really understand how challenging it is. The recruitment process will involve a written application of course,written test, oral board, psych. evaluation, physical, physical agility test, a backgound investigation back to the day the person was born, polygraph and perhaps a practical situations type test. If an applicant survives that process, then it's on to the police academy, and if successsful on to the FTO part of the process for several months. At any stage, for just about any reason, an applicant can be disqualified and no longer considered. I have seen applicants dismissed at about all of these stages, including being fired during the last few days of their probationary year. I'm describing the process in Arizona, but I suspect other states are at least similar. My point is, to try to predict which pistol you would be carrying some day as an officer would be problematical indeed. Anyway sir, I wish you the best of luck should you decide to pursue a career in law enforcement.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
Hello justartin, Glock has about 65% of the police business in this country, at least that's what they tell us in the armorers schools. I am retired from a rather long stint in LE and have been part of the hiring process on a number of occasions. I hope you won't be offended if I offer some advice. The process in being hired into LE is rather lengthy. So many people I've interviewed don't really understand how challenging it is. The recruitment process will involve a written application of course,written test, oral board, psych. evaluation, physical, physical agility test, a backgound investigation back to the day the person was born, polygraph and perhaps a practical situations type test. If an applicant survives that process, then it's on to the police academy, and if successsful on to the FTO part of the process for several months. At any stage, for just about any reason, an applicant can be disqualified and no longer considered. I have seen applicants dismissed at about all of these stages, including being fired during the last few days of their probationary year. I'm describing the process in Arizona, but I suspect other states are at least similar. My point is, to try to predict which pistol you would be carrying some day as an officer would be problematical indeed. Anyway sir, I wish you the best of luck should you decide to pursue a career in law enforcement.
I am a member of the Fire and Police Commission in my little town and the application process here is exactly as you have described.

The thing is, each department has different requirements for what their officers carry. Some tell you exactly what you must carry, some are a little more lenient and may just want you to carry a certain caliber.

Good luck on your quest to be an LEO. Keep your nose clean and work hard. You can do it.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Around here in Ga they carry a Glock G22 for the most part.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185
I've been applying at local departments where I live for the past 2 years since graduating college. And you are not kidding about it being a length tuff process. So far out of 4 departments I've tested for after the written test and oral interview the highest I've achieved so far is 10th on the list. I've improved every time I've tested so I have to keep on chugging away!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I talk to leos all the time, in my city they all carry glock 22

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #9

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

My father in law is an leo in my home town. They carry sig sauer in 9mm.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The Freedom of Information Act mandates they must tell you what the department issue guns are. Anything non-classified being funded by tax payer money is public record by law. Keep in mind that many Police Departments will allow Officers to carry their own weapon but as several have mentioned above, most officers will be glad to tell you if you ask them and tell them why you want to know.