Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Pocketable for a friend (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/pocketable-friend-55084/)

DodgeThis 01-09-2012 03:15 AM

Pocketable for a friend

I've been talking to a buddy about getting permitted. He's very interested, but he ain't a real "gun guy". Right now the only guns he owns are a 30-30 and a 9mm that I sold him. He is well versed in firearms, just not as into them as I am. He is a small frame guy and can't conceal the pistol. He is NOT into revolvers at all. What we were discussing is a little pocket pistol (probably 380). What I presented to him were the S&W Bodyguard 380, Ruger LCR, Seecamp 380, and Diamondback 380. They're all esentially the same price range...$350ish. I told him that if it were me, I'd go with the Smith. Exellent construction, American made, and a built in laser included. I know that there are more micro sized subcompacts out there in 380, but I can't come up with any that are decent quallity, price, and in DAO. I like the Sig 238, but he doesn't want a SA pistol. I figured ya'll could help me out more htan anyone. So for a DAO pistol in $300-450 range that is nothing less than a 380acp, what do you recommend? And for him, pocket size means SMALL, not a J-frame or a G-26. Those would be a hard gun for him to conceal in general, especially not in his front pocket of his Wranglers.

Thanks !

winds-of-change 01-09-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeThis (Post 671653)
I've been talking to a buddy about getting permitted. He's very interested, but he ain't a real "gun guy". Right now the only guns he owns are a 30-30 and a 9mm that I sold him. He is well versed in firearms, just not as into them as I am. He is a small frame guy and can't conceal the pistol. He is NOT into revolvers at all. What we were discussing is a little pocket pistol (probably 380). What I presented to him were the S&W Bodyguard 380, Ruger LCR, Seecamp 380, and Diamondback 380. They're all esentially the same price range...$350ish. I told him that if it were me, I'd go with the Smith. Exellent construction, American made, and a built in laser included. I know that there are more micro sized subcompacts out there in 380, but I can't come up with any that are decent quallity, price, and in DAO. I like the Sig 238, but he doesn't want a SA pistol. I figured ya'll could help me out more htan anyone. So for a DAO pistol in $300-450 range that is nothing less than a 380acp, what do you recommend? And for him, pocket size means SMALL, not a J-frame or a G-26. Those would be a hard gun for him to conceal in general, especially not in his front pocket of his Wranglers.

Thanks !

Isn't the Ruger LCR a revolver? Did you mean the Ruger LCP?

Personally, if I were to carry, I'd be carrying a Ruger LCR .357. They don't come much prettier than that.........or practical.

DodgeThis 01-09-2012 12:12 PM

Haha, thanks Winds. Glad you knew what i meant. :o

fisher79 01-09-2012 12:20 PM

If he's that small of a guy how about a derringer? I know it not semi-auto but looks about the same as keys in your pocket.

winds-of-change 01-09-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher79 (Post 671883)
If he's that small of a guy how about a derringer? I know it not semi-auto but looks about the same as keys in your pocket.

I think an LCP can slip into a pocket, too, couldn't it?

vincent 01-09-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 672046)
I think an LCP can slip into a pocket, too, couldn't it?

...easily, almost fits in the watch pocket on wranglers :D

armed1212 01-09-2012 06:42 PM

Hello all, I love my lcp it fits anywhere. Now the long trigger takes some getting used to is the down fall. Also it's a lil cheaper than bg and with the money u save u can get a crimson trace laser which is a much better laser for ccw.

sweeper22 01-09-2012 06:54 PM

(380) Ruger LCP and SW Bodyguard are where you want to start.

(9mm) Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF9, and Kahr CM9 are near micro in size and available under $400.

Powersportgiant 01-09-2012 10:16 PM

I love my S&W bodyguard. Had an LCP and was not crazy about the sights, lack of safety, and the laser was a bonus on the bodyguard. And I shoot it more accurately. The LCP never failed me once but I prefer the BG

jimbobpissypants 01-09-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 672184)
(380) Ruger LCP and SW Bodyguard are where you want to start.

^^^^Yeah, what he said.