Please Help -- my first gun (9mm)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Please Help -- my first gun (9mm)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Please Help -- my first gun (9mm)

Hello, I am in the market for buying a 9mm handgun. I have gone target shooting with my dad at random times since i was about 18 or 19 and now I am living with my girlfriend and would enjoy taking lessons on how to become a better shot. So this gun would not only need to be accurate for the range, but also reliable for home protection (those are my 2 main reasons for this purchase).
I was told by a local business man that i respect, that a 9mm is great for a beginner like me and for the two main reasons I am looking to buy a guy. Of the items he had in his store, he suggested a few -- and I was hoping to get some help on this forum to help me distinguish between the 5 options and select the best one for me.
He had the Taurus PT 92, FN FNX-9, Beretta 92, S&W M&P 40 and the Glock Gen 4.
While price surely doesnt hurt things (the Taurus being the cheapest of the 5 he suggested), i would only use that if all other things were equal....these all fall into my general price range for what he was asking. I need the gun to be safe and reliable. Something that is good for me to practice with but also something I can use at home if I ever find myself in the situation where I would need to defend my home.
If anyone can offer some help, reviews, tips, suggestions, comments, etc on any or all of these guns listed, i would very much appreciate it -- and I thank you in advance for even reading this lengthy post. Have a wonderful day!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #2

Between those five I would suggest going with whichever feels best in your hand. If you have a local range that rents handguns, see what they have that you can take for a test drive too...

Old 12-17-2011, 02:24 AM   #3

are you saying that because they are all close in terms of reliability, accuracy, etc?? does any one or two stand out to you?

Old 12-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1047 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Find a range that has rentals... And see if you can include a Springfield XDM in the mix to try. Literally, one will jump out at you as feeling comfortable.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

If I may add to the mix, the Ruger SR9 was my first pistol purchase and I haven't regretted that buy at all... For the same reasons as you, I went this route and it has treated me well...

Old 12-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Like the others have said, go test drive a few. I've heard that a Taurus is sometimes a pain to field strip. If you're going to use just for the range, I think the Beretta would be good. If you're going to carry I'd go with something different. I have 2 Glocks and I like them. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I second the Beretta. I think it's a great gun and it won't let you down. A lot of people on here are also S&W fans and I can't deny they make a nice handgun as well. I'd say if you had to pick one not to buy, stay away from Taurus. It's a love or hate kind of thing but even the people that love them can't deny their shady reputation. Play it safe for the first one.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey
I second the Beretta. I think it's a great gun and it won't let you down. A lot of people on here are also S&W fans and I can't deny they make a nice handgun as well. I'd say if you had to pick one not to buy, stay away from Taurus. It's a love or hate kind of thing but even the people that love them can't deny their shady reputation. Play it safe for the first one.
Could not have said it better.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #9

I was told the Taurus has a warranty for the lifetime of the gun---so if i sell it later, they get that warranty -- id think this would give it solid resale value as long as i took care of it....is that correct? do any other guns offer that or have a good resale value??

Thanks for all the great posts!!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #10

Taurus firearms are very hit and miss and can sometimes be hard to sell because of that. I would suggest the beretta as my personal choice of those firearms great quality and very accurate and easy to use