Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Please advise on S&W, Sigma Mags (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/please-advise-s-w-sigma-mags-28037/)

kevlar 06-07-2010 06:16 PM

Please advise on S&W, Sigma Mags

I saw a 30-round mag for "S&W 9mm staggered magazines" on the Sportsman's Guide site. I have a Sigma SW9VE. I asked TSG if it would fit. Here is their reply: Dear Kevin,
Thank you for your email.
Item (WX2-166818 - 30 - rd. Smith & WessonŽ 9 mm Mag) is designed for all Smith & Wesson handguns in the 9mm caliber with double stack style magazines (these are also called staggered magazines). So your Sigma (SW9VE) 9mm should work just fine with this item.
:confused:
So, do all S&W Nines use the same mag? (The Sigma is all I've ever had in S&W).

DrumJunkie 06-07-2010 07:55 PM

I'm not too sure about that. The Sigma's mags looked different to em than some other double stack Smiths. I guess I could be wrong but I see mags all over the place and the Sigma's mags are always in their own category. That would lead me toy believe there are differences. Maybe there are some people here with more than one 9mm Smith that could give a better answer though.

Freedom-1911 06-07-2010 08:03 PM

Who makes the 30 round mag.
If it is a ProMag brand magazine I would not bother.
I lucked out with two PM mags for my Walther P99 that work just fine.
But most every one that buys PM magz reports that they are pretty much junk and that they wasted their money.
If they are MecGar magz I would not hesitate to buy.

Shihan 06-07-2010 10:14 PM

First of all why?

The most you will be able to get is a 16 round Magazine. Unless someone knows more about the Sigma. Then I could be enlightened.

I am sure they will let you know. I don't think I would buy a Magazines from someone who says it "should work". Just not a positive.

I am also not going to pay $18 dollars for a 30 round mag, knowing a 16 round mag sells for about $33.

General_lee 06-08-2010 01:50 AM

Not all Smith 9mm mags are the same. For instance, the Sigma mag is different from the SW990 mag... The 990 mag is the same as a Walther p99 mag

DrumJunkie 06-08-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 296495)
Not all Smith 9mm mags are the same. For instance, the Sigma mag is different from the SW990 mag... The 990 mag is the same as a Walther p99 mag

That's what I was thinking. I don't think the M&P mags work with a Sigma either.

Quote:

I am also not going to pay $18 dollars for a 30 round mag, knowing a 16 round mag sells for about $33.
This is simply good logic. I'm sure someone makes an aftermarket mag of rthe Sigma. They make cheap (usually crap) mags for most other pistols these days. The problem I would have with a mag that high cap. is it would have to stick out a long way. Like really long. So even if by some stretch you find a mag that fed OK it would be a pain and look goofy. I guess it be good for those full auto youtube vids :rolleyes:

The Sigma is a decent pistol that is really affordable. For what you're putting into one getting a couple extras good mags should not be a real issue.

big shrek 06-08-2010 09:45 AM

Early Sigma's had so many problems they were a horror to behold...I'm surprised S&W didn't change the name when they made the newer ones...just to get away from the stench.

It's still got a lousy trigger..that much hasn't changed.

But heck, that's how pistolsmiths make their money ;)

kevlar 06-08-2010 01:28 PM

Okay, I'm going to pass on it...

I've had several Ruger P-95 30-rounders (Pro-Mag) that worked fine. But since I've already got five S&W 16-rd. Sigma mags, I won't take the chance on a piece of crap that may not even work. They (TSG) don't even say who makes it! Thanks to all for info. Kevlar

robocop10mm 06-08-2010 01:55 PM

Generally the ultra cap mags are for the 5900 series guns. These will not work in the Sigma, M&P or 99/990. They will work in the Marlin Camp 9's.

kevlar 06-08-2010 01:57 PM

Thanks. I'm not going to buy one. 16 rounds should get me to the AK!