PK380 Problems
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > PK380 Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default PK380 Problems

A female friend and I borrowed one of my friend's PK380 yesterday, as she is looking for her first handgun. AWFUL experience! Every third-fourth round wouldn't extract...not stovepipe, but stay in the barrel and I would have to run a rod down the barrel to push the brass out. Anyone else have this problem? I would expect a brand that had been around for a while to put out quality products, so maybe this is a rare "lemon".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6665 Times on 3546 Posts
Likes Given: 500

im yet to be impressed with a walther product since walther left their french manhurin plant closed shop and sold out.

my opinion sell it get a better gun. but they do have those issues and are currently under recall for discharging with the safety engaged.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks JonM. It is my friend's handgun, and he carries it with the same FMJ rounds that it was malfunctioning with, so I strongly encouraged him to contact the manufacturer for repair.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6665 Times on 3546 Posts
Likes Given: 500

yeah thats not a gun i would carry.

if your looking for good 380 the bersa thunder 380 and bersa thunder 380 plus are fantastic. they feed any 380 round hp or fmj 100% are pleasent to shoot and very accurate.

the thunder 380 does have a design flaw in that the magazine disconnect bar puts excess stress on the transfer bar spring. removing the magazine disconnect bar removes that excess stress. if its not removed its common for the thunder 380 to break the transfer bar spring in a few hundred rounds.

the thunder 380 plus has a different design and doesnt have this issue.

the thunder 380 is a 7+1 the thunder 380 plus is a 15+1

hands down my favorite 380 pistols.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
jozimoto Likes This 
Old 03-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts

I have a Walther P22 for range use and -since my wife likes it - considered the PK380 to try for her since they are similar form & operation.

But checking all the info online - especially from the Walther user forum - on the various issues with the handgun made me strike it.

Feeding issues and being ammo "picky" is ok for me in a range gun but not for one to be used for personal defense.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I can give you another handgun in the same size class that runs great and can be upgrade to a larger cartridge . My wife bought a sig p250sc in 380 . She has several smaller 380s from bersa cc and plus and a tcp that get backup duty often. The slide is a little narrower and thinner in build and barrel is skeletonized in the chamber area to reduce weight and a thin barrel. 19oz is its weight and came with night sights for $446 at out general store. It has a double action trigger but is not bad at all for a brand new pistol . Oh , it can be racked with one finger .

It comes as a 12 round mag but 15 round mags are available and x-grip make a spacer for it and we have a couple of those . Cleaner to conceal with the 12 rounder . The bersa thunder plus has a wide grip at 1.36 wide the sig is just over an inch at 1.12 at its widest point of the grip/frame.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p250-sub-compact-nitron-380.aspx

Worth a look .

Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

What ammo was being used?
If you were using anything but brass cased, yes, you will have some problems with Walther.

The Wolf (and others who are not using brass) cover the casing material with an epoxy material. That material hangs in the chamber as the firearm gets warm from shooting. Shoot a firearm 3 times and see how hot it gets. Removing a stuck shell allows time for it to cool.

Try different ammo (brass cased) next time and you may have a more pleasant experience.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)