Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Piece for the car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post

LEO PRESENCE MEANS LITTLE ANYMORE. Don't expect it to keep your property safe.
oh i know lol. we got a lot of busy bodies up and down the neighborhood and everyone keeps an eye out for each other. ive had the sherriff deputies show up a few times when we had friends from out of state going in and out of our home lol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my xdm 45 is too big for a ccw but i keep it in the truck. i dont care if it gets a little dirty or beat on, its gonna work. i wont treat my 1911s like that. its hard to get to my new agent while driving but i can pop that xdm out of the center console and i got a full size handgun 13+1 ready to go.
Ditto.

My XDm45 is my truck tag-along for the same reasons. Usually carry a 9mm of some sort on my person as well, but it's good to know that XDm isn't too far away.

It's too big for many other practical uses. Having 14rds of 45acp before a reload is necessary is comforting...especially with that sudden zombie outbreak constantly looming.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Anyway, I'm curious about proper care and if there are temperature concerns I shoupd be aware of.
Go with a quality polymer gun (XD, Glock, S&W, FNP, etc) for the car. They generally stand up to punishment and function afterward. I'm sure many metal framed guns would do fine too...but I like mine a little too much to subject them to that kind of abuse/exposure/neglect. I have little senitimental attachment to my cookie-cutter polymer shooters, however. I'm perfectly willing to work 'em like a mule.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #24

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22

Go with a quality polymer gun (XD, Glock, S&W, FNP, etc) for the car. They generally stand up to punishment and function afterward. I'm sure many metal framed guns would do fine too...but I like mine a little too much to subject them to that kind of abuse/exposure/neglect. I have little senitimental attachment to my cookie-cutter polymer shooters, however. I'm perfectly willing to work 'em like a mule.
Kind of what I was thinking. My Ruger LC9 should meet the measure.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The lubes you use should have a "low temperature" recommendation. I've read info concerning this for folks that live in Alaska & spend a lot of time outdoors in sub-zero weather & they wear their firearms outside of their clothes, so there are lubes available for extreme conditions.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
For me, I have checked the local laws. It's how I got away without having a CC permit for years. MS vehicle carry is VERY lenient.
Yup, gotta love it. I'm still just car carrying, no permit. Usually the XD45 and a spare mag in a cheapo nylon holster. I usually bring it in at night, but have forgotten.

Quote:
(2)
It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen(18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.
Firearms Permit Unit - > § 97-37-7. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.
(I keep a printout of that page in the glovebox and with each holster)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #27

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Yup, gotta love it. I'm still just car carrying, no permit. Usually the XD45 and a spare mag in a cheapo nylon holster. I usually bring it in at night, but have forgotten.

Firearms Permit Unit - > § 97-37-7. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.
(I keep a printout of that page in the glovebox and with each holster)
I have a print of every gun law for the state that I feel is relevant. The vehicle carry is a huge one IMO. School zone and educational property is a good one to keep on the car too.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I still haven't heard how it is to work out on college campuses with the new "enhanced permit" in MS; i suppose it will be clarified at some point.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

another thing to also consider is the right of a business to restrict carry into their business and property.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #30

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I still haven't heard how it is to work out on college campuses with the new "enhanced permit" in MS; i suppose it will be clarified at some point.
I haven't heard anything about it either. I can't see them letting me pack while sitting in philosophy class though. May be allowed to leave it in the truck though. One small step back in the right direction. I hear it said quite often that no class 3 permit holder has ever been convicted of a crime involving a class 3 firearm, I'd like to know how many firearm crimes have been committed on campus by cc permit holders. Especially in relation to how many could have been prevented on campus by permit holders. Incidentally, I know 2 people off the top of my head who I know for a fact that they carry even in the classroom. I make sure I sit next to both of them.