Piece for the car?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Piece for the car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default Piece for the car?

Do any of you keep a piece in your car? I'm thinking about having one for home, car, and person, with a couple of extras for plinkin' fun, of course.

Anyway, I'm curious about proper care and if there are temperature concerns I shoupd be aware of. I have no problems with the understanding of cleaning, but need to know if there are any other considerations, such as temp limits, I should keep in mind.

Thanks fellas.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't need to keep one in the car, it's on my hip.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I don't need to keep one in the car, it's on my hip.
Agreed

But also check with local laws. Here in Pennsylvania it is illegal to leave a firearm in the car..permit or not.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

my xdm 45 is too big for a ccw but i keep it in the truck. i dont care if it gets a little dirty or beat on, its gonna work. i wont treat my 1911s like that. its hard to get to my new agent while driving but i can pop that xdm out of the center console and i got a full size handgun 13+1 ready to go. in wisconsin it doesnt matter with a handgun visible or hidden in a car now if you got a ccw. other state may vary check your local laws

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Agreed

But also check with local laws. Here in Pennsylvania it is illegal to leave a firearm in the car..permit or not.
For me, I have checked the local laws. It's how I got away without having a CC permit for years. MS vehicle carry is VERY lenient.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I used to keep a Bersa Thunder in the camaro console. And a H&R38 In the truck console

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

For me, I have checked the local laws. It's how I got away without having a CC permit for years. MS vehicle carry is VERY lenient.
Local LEO's still treat you like a criminal even with a CCW here.

I had a run in with the local PD last year, I alerted the officer that I had my weapon so he didnt freak out while reaching for my wallet(I carry on my 5 o'clock above my wallet) he didnt give me any problems and was appreciative that gave him the heads up. While running my permit and ID, his buddies showed up and surrounded me guns drawn. I understand being jumpy when a firearm is involved in a routine stop but I had already given my info and the first officer had my pistol secured in his car.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #8

I checked local law and there are no restrictions for peoples with CHLs, which I don't have yet, but plan to very soon. For those without I can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle, but pretty much just in the trunk, or if no trunk a locked glovebox or console.

This wasn't my concern or purpose for the post, though. I was asking about any worry about weathering. I live in the northwest where its cold and wet climate and am worried about problems with a gun left out in a car because of it. Thats my querry here. Any responses to that?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I checked local law and there are no restrictions for peoples with CHLs, which I don't have yet, but plan to very soon. For those without I can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle, but pretty much just in the trunk, or if no trunk a locked glovebox or console.

This wasn't my concern or purpose for the post, though. I was asking about any worry about weathering. I live in the northwest where its cold and wet climate and am worried about problems with a gun left out in a car because of it. Thats my querry here. Any responses to that?
I would look at it as any other object containing metal left in that climate. It will eventually rust or gain some sort of corrosion. Not o mention any salts that may be in the air. I have no personal experience but i would assume without constant maintenance this would be n issue...unless you're parked in a climate controlled area such as a garage.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #10

No garage, nor salty costal air, and I'd of course keep up with regular maintenance/cleaning after rounds at the quary. Hmmm... I guess it depends on if it would simply be left in the car at all times or occasionally used and properly cared for after. Hmmm