Phoenix HP22 Grips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Phoenix HP22 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Phoenix HP22 Grips

Hi all, I'm new here and just getting back into shooting after quite a few years away from it. My son is looking at going into the Navy and realized that I hadn't really got him into doing much shooting, so we've both taken up going to the range and enjoying some plinking.

All I've had for years is a Ruger Bearcat .22 and was wanting a semi-auto, so I picked up one of the Phoenix HP-22's at the local shop. I know some haven't had good luck with these, but I seem to have a good one, no jams and only a couple of FTE's with it, mostly due to the cheap ammo. I ended up buying the 5" barrel for it recently and the slide would jam half way through open and close, so after a lot of filing, I've got it working pretty well and have to say that it's pretty accurate. At 25' all 10 rounds were in a 1" group. I've since picked up a Ruger SR9 and also gotten my wife into plinking.

Anyway, I was looking for grips for the HP22, but not able to find any. Being that do quite a bit of woodworking, I decided to make my own. These are out of tiger maple, finished with lin-speed.

image00009.jpg   image00010.jpg   image00015.jpg   image00011.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

Those are beautiful!
Makes your $150 gun look like a million!

I have been looking for wood grips since I heard Phoenix use to make them but have not found any either.

Any chance of getting a pair or two made? Please private message me if your interested.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm just doing it them for fun. I'm currently making another set out of lacewood which is a bit darker, but has a great grain pattern to it. I'm planning to post a detailed tutorial on my blog and over on the woodworking forum as there are a couple of HP22 owners over there that want more details. They aren't that hard to make if you've got a plunge router w/spiral bit and some rasps (or oscillating sander in my case).

Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Easy for you maybe.
I don't have the equipment or the expertise.
Post photos when your done the new ones, Please.
What wood working forum?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #5

Default good looking wood grips

I think you read my mind when you made the grips out of tiger maple.
Are you sure you don't want to help out some (unskilled) gun enthusiasts?
IMO there is nothing better looking than a metal gun with wooden grips.
I'd be willing to send you the wood. Please reconsider. Not everyone has your talent.
Or wood shop.

Nice Job, please post those lacewood grips.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
What wood working forum?
Family Woodworking - Powered by vBulletin

It's not that I wouldn't help out, but got a lot on my plate and honey-do list. It's a real treat when I get time to do something just for myself some days.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #7

Understood.
I was just thinking how good they would look on my weapon.
Have a great weekend!

Tags
grips