You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Phoenix Arms .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalliman27055 View Post
Hello all, I'm a new hp22 owner and was wondering what ammunition you have been running through it, when I purchased my rangemaster (nickel w/5" barrell and extended grip) I picked up a box of winchester 333 36g cphp at walmart.(for less than $10 I had just couldnt say no) My mistake right? As soon as I got home, I read the manual twice(first handgun I've owned) and cleaned the little guy. The next day My wife and I went to the range. First two mags I loaded 8 rounds (had read about breaking-in the mag but might have been for the walther p22) No problems at all....for the next 30 or so magazines I have had a problem with it feeding at least one round per mag sometimes up to 4 rounds. Now I am hoping it is the ammo. Before you freak out, This was over two trips to the range with proper cleaning after the first trip. Also the mag release on my gun works with the safety in FIRE position with no mods (I purchased it new in box). Is there a possiblity that there is a prob with the magazine? Figured I'd ask here Im hoping its the ammo I was using. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot any cci minimags yet or the standard vel remington fmj. Range closed Sun mon. and of course I'm offf work sun and mon. but anyway thanks for the info
Metalliman
I see this is an old post, but I have to answer. Those 333 cphp are really not good in the hp22. its hp that catches. polishing the feed ramp will help a little, but not much. but for the price its almost worth a little bit of headache. Ive had the best luck with mini mags.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #22

Mine shoots anything I feed it. It's not as selective as some of the other expensive 22 autos I've read about that only like certain brands of ammo.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #23

I just picked one of these up. I got a new one for $125. I am happy with it so far. I have ran about 50 rounds through it and had one failure to feed. It is fun to shoot. It fits nice in your pocket too. It may not have stopping power but I can out run most people once I put a couple of 22lr into their knee caps......

Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #24

I am glad someone is doing ok with there hp25a. I sort of abandoned it for a while. But i intend to order another takedown lever and cross my fingers. And hope i get it right. Out of all my weapons that is the only one that i just can't seem to get reassembled. I just throw my hands in the air.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought one of the HP22A black models a couple weeks ago. So far, I have put two 525 round Federal Bulk boxes through the gun. The only jam I had was when I let my thumbs drag on the slide while shooting the gun. If I keep my thumbs off the slide, the thing runs 100%. It is pretty accurate for a small gun.
I find the dis and re assembly to be no problem if I follow the directions. When putting it back together, I install the spring then lay an ink pen along the spring to keep it in position. Then pull the slide back, and flip the slide lock lever up. Pop in the barrel, then keep a bit of downward pressure on the barrel while easing the slide forward. I have many 22 pistols and revolvers. While the HP22A is not the highest of quality, I feel it is a good gun for the money.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #26

Those slinky springs are so much fun. You become very careful keeping them straight when compressing after one fly's across the room.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #27

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

New here but just had to add a comment on the HP22. Just bought one..the deluxe model. Shot it all day with no problems, then the trigger started missing the hammer release. Looked at the right side under the grip and found a roll pin had worked its way out. Tapped it back in and polished feed ramp on both barrels, and its been 100% since then. These guns are pretty crude and very simple in operation but seem to be pretty accurate. Dont know what it likes for ammo. Just going through the first 500 rounds of federal. I did remove some material where the molds came together also. I may never use it for self defense but didnt buy it for that.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortdraw View Post
Called target sports online and ordered all the things I needed. They were very informative and it was a pleasure to do business with them. Thanks again for the heads-up to the site.
No need to go any farther than the phoenix web sight for parts and accessories.

Mine works like a champ on most bulk ammo.

As stated with the mag release safety it can be repaired in short order.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #29

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

Having a hard time finding long rifle standard velocity for my Phoenix. Finally found some Blazer at a local gas station for almost 3 bucks per 100. I dont have a source for ammo like Cabelas. Anybody know what it costs there? Phoenix factory says use standard velocity ammo. I started using High Velocity ammo and now have a valley beat into my hammer where it hits the firing pin. Anybody else having this happen? I wonder how long before this puts it out of tolerance and it does not fire. I have fired about 1200 rounds of high Vel ammo.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRog View Post
Having a hard time finding long rifle standard velocity for my Phoenix. Finally found some Blazer at a local gas station for almost 3 bucks per 100. I dont have a source for ammo like Cabelas. Anybody know what it costs there? .
Got any Walmarts within driving range? they have all the bulk you will ever need.