Phoenix 22A any good? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Phoenix 22A any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've wanted one of these little guys since the first time I saw one! Hopefully I will find one around for cheap.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I hope you find one too. If not get a new one. For the price you cant beat it!

Some people think of them as Saturday Night specials..but I feel that not everybody can afford a $500.00 dollar or more gun. People that dont have lots of resources and are raising a family deserve self protection just as well as folks who can afford expensive weapons. Terms like that irritate me! Just because you can buy one for $125.00 doesnt mean its no good. Hi Point gets a bad rap also just for that same reason. They go bang everytime, and are affordable. I carry Keltecs. a .380 and a 9mm depending on my clothing. They are reasonably cheap, and shoot well. Its not a Kahr, or a Wilson Combat arm, but consider if you do happen to shoot someone, more that likely you will loose it until cleared of wrong doing, or maybe never get it back. Well, I went on long enough..thats my story and Im stickin to it!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I emailed the Phoenix HP22a factory to ask what they meant by standard ammo. Got a phone call and they said standard velocity was what they recommend. A 1150fps load is what you are supposed to use. Anything else would cause premature wear. I cant find any locally. I know CCI makes it. I think it is 40 gr. I would like to try it for accuracy. Being it is sub-sonic, I wonder if it has much bark?

I also went on another thread and found a website that did a test on different calibers vs. .22lr for self defense. The results were surprising! The little .22 did surprisingly good as far is neutralizing targets, and stopping power. Here is a link if you care to read.. Farmers use .22s for dropping cows for butchering..hogs also! Shot placement folks!!

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

Old 01-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

As of today, I have put 3000 rounds through my Phoenix and it operates perfectly. I do keep it clean and oiled. There is some wear on the bottom of the slide, but doesn't seem to effect the operation. I also polished the feed ramp when I bought it using a dremel tool and polishing wheel as well as the mods to the safety. I like it so much I am going to buy a spare just to keep on hand for future use. Next one will be the natural finish though and being I bought the Range model the first time, I do have the extra long barrel and cleaning kit with box. I do practice drawing and shooting. I do quick draw at five yards, five shots in a eight inch circle and re-holster all in five seconds. Try it sometime. In real life situations your may not have that much time. It's hard to conceal carry and have your handgun close at hand in that short a time. I use a belt slide holster made by Pro Active Gear. I am left hand so nothing is easy. Everything is on the wrong side of the gun including safety, mag release and firing pin safety. Anyway, I still like it!

Last edited by TexasRog; 01-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRog View Post
I emailed the Phoenix HP22a factory to ask what they meant by standard ammo. Got a phone call and they said standard velocity was what they recommend. A 1150fps load is what you are supposed to use. Anything else would cause premature wear. I cant find any locally. I know CCI makes it. I think it is 40 gr. I would like to try it for accuracy. Being it is sub-sonic, I wonder if it has much bark?

I also went on another thread and found a website that did a test on different calibers vs. .22lr for self defense. The results were surprising! The little .22 did surprisingly good as far is neutralizing targets, and stopping power. Here is a link if you care to read.. Farmers use .22s for dropping cows for butchering..hogs also! Shot placement folks!!

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association
Yes, the owners manual states the use of standard velocity ammo only!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #26

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I can't complain about mine. Works great as long as it's cleaned and oiled. It's a perfect range gun. I plan on teaching my young daughter with this weapon.