Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Phoenix 22A any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

It is my belief that if you modify this pistol..like most people do, Including me, and that if you have a mishap like accidently shooting yourself, or someone else, and you have modified it..again like most people do, you can hire all the lawyers in the world and you dont have a leg to stand on because you removed almost all the safetys and redundant systems. You alone are liable. Same if you sell it like that. You are now responsible for anybody else that gets hurt no matter how many hands it goes through. Course it has to be proven I suppose.

I do like my Phoenix very much with the mods done. I polished the feed ramp and any other areas that slide or rub on other parts. Very reliable with almost any ammo I feed it as long as its reasonably clean and lubed.

Does anybody carry it for self defense? If so how do you carry? Cocked and locked with safety, Cocked and locked with firing pin safety, both safetys on, or hammer down safety on. I carried mine for a few days cocked and safety on. felt ok with it that way.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had great luck with this "cheap little plinker"; what a great buy. Eats everything and asks for more.

But..

The slide-mounted firing-pin-block safety will SOON work itself loose, if for no other reason than it being in such a bad location given that is where you grasp the slide to charge the gun.

The problem will first behave as if the round was a dud. It wasn't; your hammer fell against the safety and not the firing pin.

After a few "duds" the light will go off and you will see it - a flippy-floppy safety switch blocking the f'pin from the hammer strike.

AFAIK, there is no user-fix for this for when it hits. Not if, but when.

You could possibly work something tacky under the switch to hold it to the "fire" position, but again - you have to manipulate the slide in that spot, so it will not last.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
I have had great luck with this "cheap little plinker"; what a great buy. Eats everything and asks for more.

But..

The slide-mounted firing-pin-block safety will SOON work itself loose, if for no other reason than it being in such a bad location given that is where you grasp the slide to charge the gun.

The problem will first behave as if the round was a dud. It wasn't; your hammer fell against the safety and not the firing pin.

After a few "duds" the light will go off and you will see it - a flippy-floppy safety switch blocking the f'pin from the hammer strike.

AFAIK, there is no user-fix for this for when it hits. Not if, but when.

You could possibly work something tacky under the switch to hold it to the "fire" position, but again - you have to manipulate the slide in that spot, so it will not last.
You find a fix for this problem? I have fired about 1,200 rounds in mine, and has only failed to fire twice while breaking in. I polished feed ramp, and everywhere that metal against metal had wear spots. I would bet my life on this gun if I had no other. There is a spring inside for the firing pin safety and I would bet that it is broken. If you use max velocity ammo that may cause the problem. Use 36 grain, 1260-1280 fps, and you wont experience wear problems like this.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #14

No, no fix. I was shooting Fed bulk and Fed bulk "automatch", Win red-box RN, T-bolts, CC Blazer and Mini-Mags. Zero probs whatsoever. This could almost be a defense gun - until I discovered the firing pin safety issue.

I need to contact Phoenix.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

That entire slide assembly is available for not too much money. Its listed in the owners manuel. Do not have the book in front of me but seemed like it cost about 20 bucks for a new slide assembly. I have the blued gun, but may look nice by putting a polished one on. there is no serial numbers on that piece so you can get it delivered to your door with no ffl.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #16

No, stripped slide is closer to $55.00. They will not sell the f/pin safety parts alone. Guess I have to send the slide back... Hate that I can't use this as it is one of my favorites, a lot nicer to plink with than my Beretta 21.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

You, Sir are correct. Must have been looking at a different part. But I stand by the fact that the pin spring is probably broken. There must be a roll pin extractor to get that part out. It is very small though. I guess I would let the factory fix it. Best of luck on that and keep us posted as to how it came out. Maybe they will just replace the whole assembly. Is it on the long barrel or short one?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #18

Mine is the base pistol with short barrel in the "nickel" look. Despite this minor setback, I'd highly recommend them. I'm sure - based on the Phoenix rep for cust svc - they'll fix me up.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Im interested to know if after you send it to them, they fix it. Do they send it back directly to you or does it have to go through a FFL person? Being it is not the receiver part with the serial number it could be shipped back directly to you. I have heard that when you ship it to them, dont put Phoenix ARMS on the box. There are people out there who are anti-firearms and will manage to get your part (lost). Just put Phoenix Corp on the label.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRog View Post
Im interested to know if after you send it to them, they fix it. Do they send it back directly to you or does it have to go through a FFL person? Being it is not the receiver part with the serial number it could be shipped back directly to you. I have heard that when you ship it to them, dont put Phoenix ARMS on the box. There are people out there who are anti-firearms and will manage to get your part (lost). Just put Phoenix Corp on the label.
I've shipped long-guns - Century WASR and then a Century C93 - for warrnty work and they came back to me at my house.

I also over-night shipped my Freedom Arms micro-revolver (pre-NAA version) directly to/from Freedom for repairs. All legal.

Since this is just the slide, and as you said - not the S/Numbered "frame" - this is completely legal.

And as you said - be vague on the addressing and do NOT indicate on the package what the contents are as they will "get lost" in transit.