Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   PF9 Recoil (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/pf9-recoil-29089/)

Thelt 07-07-2010 11:05 PM

PF9 Recoil

I traded my P32 in for a PF9. I am surprised at how snappy it is. I have shot a 9mm before, a full size Glock, but it did not kick much. I guess the size and weight of this gun make it snap harder. After about 50 rounds my hand was sore.

Anyone else notice this or I am just being wimpy?

danf_fl 07-07-2010 11:34 PM

Physics, my son. The less mass, the easier to move. Some handle the mass by weight, others by springs. The better mass movement is handled, the less "felt recoil".

gatopardo 07-08-2010 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelt (Post 311533)
I traded my P32 in for a PF9. I am surprised at how snappy it is. I have shot a 9mm before, a full size Glock, but it did not kick much. I guess the size and weight of this gun make it snap harder. After about 50 rounds my hand was sore.

Anyone else notice this or I am just being wimpy?

Not only does it kick but it cuts, I had to use sandpaper to soften the seams on the grips and the trigger, now it's OK. I also added a soft grip made of a bike air chamber a 16" i think from Academy:cool:
The reason for it been so jumpy is the size of the grip, there is room for only two fingers there, here is one with night sights from glow-on.com
http://glowon.files.wordpress.com/20...0155.jpg?w=640

Thelt 07-08-2010 01:30 AM

Those sights are cool. It did not cut me, it just beat up my hand. Maybe I will get used to it if I shoot it some more. I do not have a lot of accuracy with it yet.

Elemental 07-08-2010 11:20 AM

I picked up a PF-9 this past weekend. I took it to the range a couple of days ago, and I was a little surprised at how snappy it was. But, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. It's very small and very light. It didn't cut me, but my hand didn't feel great after 50 rds. But, I'm not disappointed. The PF-9 is not a range gun. It's a small, light gun, designed for deep concealment. And I think it will fill that role very well.

Rick1967 07-08-2010 01:23 PM

I have looked at them several times. How reliable are they?

Elemental 07-08-2010 03:17 PM

I can't speak to the reliability, since I've only put 50 rds through it so far. I did have 3 failure-to-fires, but I don't know if it was an ammo problem, or what. I was using Sellier & Beloit (sp?) ball ammo.

So far, the only thing I really don't like about it is the fact that you have to push the mag release button to insert the mag.

Accuracy-wise, I was fairly pleased. I was able to hit (more or less) where I aimed from 10 yards away, using a 6-o'clock hold.

*Edit: Check that. I guess you don't have to press the mag release when inserting the mag. Apparently, I just wasn't pushin' hard enough :o

Thelt 07-09-2010 01:29 AM

I have run 50 rounds through it and had one failure to feed. The round that failed to feed was the second round I fired. I think I limp wristed it. I was not expecting it to kick as hard as it does. It was fine after that when I held it firmly.

It is easy to carry. I picked up an Uncle Mikes IWB holster for it today and it is pretty comfortable and disappears under a t shirt.

Sooie 07-09-2010 03:17 AM

I'm excited. Ordered mine from budsgunshop $260. Expect it tomorrow and a thread to follow lol

MsVegas 07-09-2010 06:28 AM

I own a PF9 and carry it anytime I'm not carrying my Glock 26. I owned this gun for about a year now. I put 150 rounds through it in one session including qualifying with it the first day I shot so I could add it to my conceal carry permit. It's not a range gun as others mentioned. It has some snappy recoil but is expected in such a small lightweight gun. I put a Hogue Jr. grip on mine with a pinky extension which made the gun easier on the hands. It's dead on accurate and once you learn to stage the trigger you will shoot it very well. It's a great carry gun but put some rounds through it and get us to recoil and you'll love carrying the little guy. After all when it comes down to having to use it recoil won't come across your mind!