Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   PF9 owners HELP!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/pf9-owners-help-60519/)

ThinkFastHolsters 03-18-2012 09:37 PM

PF9 owners HELP!!!

Ok so I think I have a problem. I bought a KelTec PF9 about a week ago. It is brand new in box. Took it to the range today to break it in with 100 rounds. When I first got it I broke it down and just gave it a quick scrub and oil and noticed that the barrel looked really gritty. It wasn't smooth like every other gun I own. That's where my first question comes in. Has anyone else had a PF9 barrel look like that? I though it was corrosion but the cleaning patches didn't come out with any color in them like I've seen in corroded barrels before. And when i hit it with a bore brush none of the "grit" seemed to come out. Then another issue came up. After the first mag I popped it out to reload and noticed the right front corner of the follower chipped! Now I read that the PF9 followers have some issues because they're so soft but didn't expect a problem after one mag! And on to the final and what I feel is the biggest problem. I was using federal 115 grain FMJ and after about 28 rounds I checked my target and noticed quite a few rounds seemed to keyhole. This happened regularly through all 100 rounds. I'm not sure of that has to do with the "gritty" texture in the barrel or if it was the ammo as I didnt have any other ammo to check. I just cleaned the PF9 very well paying extra attention to the barrel and the gritty texture is still there. I tried to get a picture as an example and took a picture of my freshly cleaned G19 barrel to compare. Im not sure the quality of the pics but I think the difference is visible. I will be calling KelTec tomorrow to see what they plan to do about the issues mentioned but if any of you have had any or all of these problems please let me know what you did.

ThinkFastHolsters 03-18-2012 09:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics of the keltec barrel and g19 barrel for comparison. Keltec is first and g19 second

ThinkFastHolsters 03-18-2012 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for all the replies but I just got a slightly better pic of the keltec barrel where you can see the texture

gollygee 03-19-2012 02:27 AM

What kind of bore cleaner are you using? Maybe you can email those pics to KelTec? The barrel should be a drop-in part, so maybe they'll just send you one under warranty.

Tip: If you do have to send it in, see if your dealer will ship it for you. They can ship regular USPS, where as if you ship it yourself, it must go UPS or Fedex overnight & can be expensive.

ThinkFastHolsters 03-19-2012 12:37 PM

The first time cleaning I used hoppes 9 and some cloth patches but didnt let the cleaner soak. The second time I let it soak and scrubbed like crazy with a bore brush but still nothing. I hope it's just the barrel I have to send back! :/

ThinkFastHolsters 03-19-2012 03:47 PM

Update! Just got off the phone with a very nice lady at KelTec and they are sending me a new barrel and a new follower free of charge. She seemed sure the keyholing was due to the condition of the bore and said the bore should not look gritty or dirty at all. Other than having to wait until almost 9:30 am to get through to someone (the message says they open at 9am and I got the closed message until 9:30) the customer service was great. Fast, friendly, and very helpful. Just the way it should be!

gollygee 03-19-2012 03:47 PM

KelTec customer service are good folks to deal with. Unless there is some 'fitting' to be done, I would think the barrel is all you should have to send & that can be done via regular USPS. They'll probably also send you a new magazine follower at no charge.

ruddy 03-25-2012 06:16 AM

Check out the KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum:
http://www.thektog.org/forum/

You'll learn a lot about the care and tuning of your pistol. I have a P-11 and have used a couple of their tips to improve it.

xdm6951 03-25-2012 12:40 PM

I have had 2 pf9's Both were junk . Others swear by them.Kel-Tec service is top notch. But what the use if the product is Junk .I had bad luck some say.But 2 PF9's all with differant problems. No limp wristing I used a table vise and it would not shoot more than 50 rds with out a problem.Most of the time it wouldn't shoot a whole mag . I loved the size and weight. So I decided to add a S&W 642 to my CC rotation I cc my 340PD or my 642. If I know it a bad place I'm going my XDM .

ThinkFastHolsters 03-27-2012 03:37 AM

Just got my barrel back today. Exactly one week from when I mailed it. They had no problem answering my questions through the process and the new barrel looks muchhhh better. I'd have to give kel tec customer service an A+! As far as the pf9 being junk I've only put 100 rounds through it (all in one range trip with minor lubrication) and aside from the keyholing I had no issue. Also found out that I can replace this ugly grayish blue frame for an OD frame for about 35 bucks so that's my next step. Sucks to hear that two PF9s crapped out on ya :/. In all my research before buying it I saw nothing that was so negative it changed my mind on it. And even the bad barrel doesnt. It's definitly a pain to shot 100 rounds in one trip (literally) but if I ever have to use it that's the least of my worries