Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Peoples perception of various makes and brand names

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
But then there are the 1911 only fans on the other end of the spectrum. "Gotta have 3 safeties or you're gonna shoot yersself fer shure". "If it ain't forged American steel then it sux and it's not worth anything." "If it doesn't push a .45 cal pill, then no one will feel it if they get shot with it".

Back in the '80s and 90's, I remember "experts" claiming 1911s weren't worth a crap for reliability if you didn't have them properly smithed or if you fed them anything but FMJ. If they were reliable then they were usually so loose that you could'nt hit the broad side of a barn with them.

I'm glad I don't limit myself, that much or I'd have missed out on Glocks, and 1911s. I enjoy both, along with many other guns out there.
Yeah, but I was never accused of having anal with other men for not owning a 1911. Just sayin.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #42

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Good videos. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #43

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

I think expression of opinion should always be encouraged, no matter the view. It may not be pretty, but how else is one to become informed, enlightened or educated if expressing their ideas on things are frowned upon. Silence and censorship is simply wrong. Of course there are exceptions, such as trolls just seeking to be dbags. Lol

Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #44

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
In all seriousness, I do not think opinions on which handguns are better is a bad thing, as long as there is an explanation. For example, I would not risk my life carrying a Zip .22 being that they have frequent failures to feed/fire. See, I gave a reason to my opinion. I just did not say I hate Zip .22... snip
I agree. The only real problem I have with other peoples opinions are when they are based on hearsay rather that documented fact or personal experience, then someone tries to pass it off as first hand knowledge. Criticizing another shooters choice of weapon because "you heard from a friend who was told something by someone who read something somewhere" isn't my idea of basing a choice on the facts. If you're a gun snob and base your choices simply on brand or price, be proud enough to admit it.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
Yo xplo..., do you really think people are not going to criticize a decision another has made, when people are ridiculously judgemental about features that others have no control over, like race, height, gender, etc.? C'mon man! This is the internet, not a church pew.
My good man, If an individual has based his opinion/s on criteria and what they believe os the correct choice based on their circumstances ($$$, intended use etc) then really it's up to the seller to direct them on the right direction. In any event, NO one individual has any right to JUDGE THEM - That job is already taken by one Entity. After all who really knows an individuals premise for their particular purchase. Yes most people get advise prior to their purchase however this advise is really based upon the advising persons views, often not what's considered within the buyers needs! What may work for somebody doesn't necessarily mean it'll work just as well with another. I just think that it's really 'sad' when a person has made a purchase of some kind and all they cop is flack for it. I mean if somebody did that to you upon your first Purchase you'd be pretty pissed when you eventually find out that you were foolish for going of what some dudes opinion was.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

Not what the title of your thread indicates, but a reasonable preamble to the discussion.

I can not claim to know what everyone else's reasoning is in their choices, but for me the first step is to decide what type of handgun I feel I need or want. They general service a specific purpose (HD, target shooting, IDPA matches, etc..) and then choose the caliber I feel will best suit my purpose. As an example, for SD/HD I like 45 ACP's, for IDPA 9mm, for target shooting at the range 22 LR or 9mm.

Once that choice is made, I look at what is available for that purpose and narrow it down to about 3 or 4 pistols. I then go out to a local gun store (usually Cabela's) and actually see how they feel in the hand and how well made or poorly made each one is. The next criteria is price, not being rich or having a lot of extra cash, it is important that they are in a range I can afford. Upon narrowing it down to 2 guns, I then look at the features of each and what I require or feel best that they have. It must have a hammer (no striker fire pistols, although I did by one a Taurus PT-140), it must have a barrel over 3 inches long (have sold off all my short barrel pistols, just do not like them) and it must a have a crisp trigger with no over travel or creep.

As to brand, I am not that tied to one or another manufacturer but how each model works for MY needs and likes, yes some brands have better reviews than others, but any manufacturer can have a lemon in their line of pistols and most do. I try to stay away from those that are perceived as lemons, but it usually is one model in any manufacturers line of pistols.

I don't know if this helps or not, but it is how I make my choice.
Jim
Matey, from what I've just read, the way in which u choose & ultimately settle on a particular piece I find flawless. It's very obvious dawg that your Definitely Well trained And educated in this particular field So you know what you are looking for Without any miss conceptions. It appears that you're from the most seasoned of veterans Who's got their stuff down pat. I too very similarly know what I want from a handgun And it's intended purpose. As such, I choose my weaponry accordingly As would you. My thrrad was mainly directed to the rookies and amateurs in the game Who have bugger all knowledge with most firearms And wouldn't know the difference between one make to another. My intention was mainly to give these people a sense of direction if and when purchasing any type of firearm as Most people go off what their friends or other Miss conceived people. I suppose you could say that I'm trying to (in some way) to give them a moral boost of sorts And most importantly not be swayed by idiotic hell bent individuals Who worship particular makes for no substantial Or practical reason at all Which is somewhat very similar to what you are trying to say. Obviously though you're far more advanced with Various firearms as a whole , especially when one reads how meticulously you Point out what you're after. Cheers bud
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #47
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2698 Times on 1852 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default The Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosv8u View Post
Matey, from what I've just read, the way in which u choose & ultimately settle on a particular piece I find flawless. It's very obvious dawg that your Definitely Well trained And educated in this particular field So you know what you are looking for Without any miss conceptions. It appears that you're from the most seasoned of veterans Who's got their stuff down pat. I too very similarly know what I want from a handgun And it's intended purpose. As such, I choose my weaponry accordingly As would you. My thrrad was mainly directed to the rookies and amateurs in the game Who have bugger all knowledge with most firearms And wouldn't know the difference between one make to another. My intention was mainly to give these people a sense of direction if and when purchasing any type of firearm as Most people go off what their friends or other Miss conceived people. I suppose you could say that I'm trying to (in some way) to give them a moral boost of sorts And most importantly not be swayed by idiotic hell bent individuals Who worship particular makes for no substantial Or practical reason at all Which is somewhat very similar to what you are trying to say. Obviously though you're far more advanced with Various firearms as a whole , especially when one reads how meticulously you Point out what you're after. Cheers bud
"The Best Gun to have is the one you have in your hand when you need it"
SgM Alvin H.C.(my Dad) some time 1977 when we were at the outdoor range in Westchester Co. NY...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I'm no expert but can this really happen? Wouldn't the striker spring breaking cause the contrary, lack of force to ignite the primer?

Isn't it more likely that this guy accidentally pulled the trigger?

I'm not a Glock fan but I like the truth.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #49

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post

I'm no expert but can this really happen? Wouldn't the striker spring breaking cause the contrary, lack of force to ignite the primer?

Isn't it more likely that this guy accidentally pulled the trigger?

I'm not a Glock fan but I like the truth.
Really, that's what I was thinking. I know nothing about the internals of a GLOCK, but I know that if the main spring on a 1911 breaks, the hammer won't have enough force to fire.

I was thinking that the striker spring provides the necessary forward force to drive the striker into the primer... Ergo, if it breaks, it can't fire...

Any GLOCKers here that can set this straight?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Really, that's what I was thinking. I know nothing about the internals of a GLOCK, but I know that if the main spring on a 1911 breaks, the hammer won't have enough force to fire.

I was thinking that the striker spring provides the necessary forward force to drive the striker into the primer... Ergo, if it breaks, it can't fire...

Any GLOCKers here that can set this straight?
Basically, most semi-autos have very similar mechanism's. If you look at the comments posted after the guys video, several people mention that his others videos have something to do with pot. We all know that drugs, alcohol and guns should not even be in the same room.lol.

I think the guy is looking for a law suit and xtra pot cash. Lol.