Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Parent who dont like guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keginth28 View Post
We live in there rent house and they say if we have a gun, they have to put it on there insurance, do u know if thats true?
I doubt it, it would fall on your rental insurance, AFAIK. Your possession, your problem.
I assume that there is a standard rental agreement/lease?
If this is one of those "informal" setups where you just pay them and that's it. Well, then I believe that your in a very grey area. Talk to an insurance agent and get the real story for your jurisdiction. As long as everything you do in that house is legal, they can't really whine unless it's addressed/prohibited in the lease. As far as I know, but then I'm no expert. When in doubt, seek local expert advice.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I own rental property , I do not want to know if they have gun or not , #1 its not my business nor is it my responsibility to insure their guns . thats what they have renters insurance for . #2 you have a safe and keep it unloaded at all times when in the house , there shouldnt be a problem with this anyway . Sounds as through you have some liberal type parents maybe . JK really .
I do understand they want to help keep your child safe and they have concerns . hope it all works out

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Liked 3706 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

Quote:
We live in there rent house and they say if we have a gun, they have to put it on there insurance, do u know if thats true?
That's BS. Been a home owner for 15 years and never had an agent ask if there were guns in the house. Many companies will offer a rider for additional gun coverage because most basic policies only cover 4k in gun loss but having them does not effect your coverage or premiums unless you elect to cover them for more than the basic policy limits.

Tack

Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #14

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
That's BS. Been a home owner for 15 years and never had an agent ask if there were guns in the house. Many companies will offer a rider for additional gun coverage because most basic policies only cover 4k in gun loss but having them does not effect your coverage or premiums unless you elect to cover them for more than the basic policy limits.

Tack
Yeah, I can insure my guns by themselves, but they fall into my renter's policy too. My insurance company recommends that you get a policy for items valued over $5K, otherwise, just make sure the renter's has the value covered.

My guns, the whole collection totalling a whopping !THREE! are maybe right at $1K.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #15

Liked 3706 Times on 1827 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I doubt it, it would fall on your rental insurance, AFAIK. Your possession, your problem.
I assume that there is a standard rental agreement/lease?
If this is one of those "informal" setups where you just pay them and that's it. Well, then I believe that your in a very grey area. Talk to an insurance agent and get the real story for your jurisdiction. As long as everything you do in that house is legal, they can't really whine unless it's addressed/prohibited in the lease. As far as I know, but then I'm no expert. When in doubt, seek local expert advice.
If your set up is informal as in no written agreement your position is even stronger. Agreements are meant to protect the property owner from dead beat tenants because renters rights laws are go overboard on protecting the renter.

First I'd call bs on their insurance claim and inform them that you'll be deducting $20 per month from your rent payment every time the bring up your gun. What are they going to do, throw their grandchild out in the street? Doubt it.

Most gun haters are blind to logic but everyone, even looney Libs, understand the value of a dollar.

I understand it's family but now must choose between pulling thier heads out off their rear ends or bow down and stuff your head...well, you know where.

Tack

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
My parents have a problem with me having a gun in the house bc I have a 3 year old son. I have a safe for it! And it's not loaded!
If you are living in your folk's home, honor your folks by obeying their rules. If that means no guns, then no guns. When you are able to move out, then you can set the rules for your home.

If you are already out on your own and supporting your family, then man up and set the rules for your home. In your home, you can listen to your folk's opinion, but its up to you how you act: if you want guns then you can have guns, etc.

It is good to hear you have a gun safe and use it. That is essential with kids around. In a few years, you'll be looking at a BB gun to start teaching your son, then a few years later a 22 and so on. Get him you into a Hunters Safety class, and take it together, as soon as the instructor allows, usually 11 or 12, but some will allow younger kids in if they are well behaved.

Edit...

OK, I see you rent a house from your folks. If you pay full retail rent, then it's your house and you set the rules, so man up and set the rules. If you pay reduced rent, they you are dependent and IMHO, you need to follow your folks rules.

I have never heard of firearms restrictions in rental homes, except government housing.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 02-15-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #17

Liked 729 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 698

Are you saying you live in your parent's home? Not that I'm saying they're right but if so - their house, their rules. You have to abide by their rules until you have your own place.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Are you saying you live in your parent's home? Not that I'm saying they're right but if so - their house, their rules. You have to abide by their rules until you have your own place.
I live in a Lil house in the back, they live in the big house that I use to live in, but I do pay rent and I have pay all the utilities, and I fix the place up, we have not writing agreement on anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't envy you and the decision you'll ultimately have to make. I guess your decision will have to go by your principles and whether they are stronger than your feelings of duty to your parents.

I am a renter in Pittsburgh (but hoping to sell VERY soon, they are on the market). The insurance I hold on the property covers the building, land and liability for the same. It usually doesn't cover the contents which belong to the renters, other than your appliances if you provide them. This is pretty standard stuff. What specific type of insurance they have on the additional property will have to be told to you by them. If it is regular homeowners, then there is usually some coverage to contents including very limited coverage on firearms. You'll have to look into this. If you are an NRA member, they include a limited dollar value Armscare policy to cover your guns. I caution you on this. There is a $100 deductable and it pays the actual cash value of the gun involved up to the dollar limit of the policy. So, if there is a loss and you paid $400 for the gun involved and the "book" says it is worth $200, you'll only collect $100. I recently found this out the hard way. You can take out a ryder to increase the coverage and cover you for replacement cost. I'm going to check this out soon.

Good luck on your quandry.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 02-16-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #20

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

If they have 'Home Owners' insurance, most policies automatically cover firearms up to $2500. However, I do not know about rules in the case of rental property. I do know that the last time we rented (1988-1990) the landlord never brought up the subject of firearms. We paid a deposit to cover possible damage to the house because we had a pet. That was refunded when we left.

I agree with the others about the need for teaching firearm safety to your children. Not only is this good from the standpoint of their education, but it removes the 'mystery' about firearms. Kids have a natural curiosity about things & that curiosity can be a dangerous thing when it comes to firearms.