Parent who dont like guns.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Parent who dont like guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Parent who dont like guns.

My parents have a problem with me having a gun in the house bc I have a 3 year old son. I have a safe for it! And it's not loaded!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 336 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Teach your son about guns when the time comes and unless you're still living with your parents, it is none of their business what you have in your house.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Tell your parents to pull the heads out of the sand and follow you too the range.

Share this Freud quote with your dad. "Fear of weaponry in the adult male is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation".

If all else fails tell them to piss off. Your house, your kid, your gun. So what's the problem?

Tack

Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
Teach your son about guns when the time comes and unless you're still living with your parents, it is none of their business what you have in your house.
We live in there rent house and they say if we have a gun, they have to put it on there insurance, do u know if thats true?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Your house? Your kid? Your gun? Your safe? Your responsibility?

Tell them you don't want to hear anymore about it. Be respectful, after all, they are your parents, but let them know it is not their decision, choice, or child.

I get along great with my mom. My dad, not so much, haven't spoken to him in about a year and a half.

I've had to tell my mom on more than one occasion, "Hey, that's enough, I'm a grown man making my own decisions. You did a good job as a parent, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about." That little "you did a good job as a parent" usually makes her stop and think about the fact that she really did do a good job, and she realizes that in the end, I'll be okay with my own rewards and consequences based on my own actions.

And to think, I was the one giving her a lecture on getting a motorcycle. Those darn parents.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
Tell your parents to pull the heads out of the sand and follow you too the range.

Share this Freud quote with your dad. "Fear of weaponry in the adult male is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation".

If all else fails tell them to piss off. Your house, your kid, your gun. So what's the problem?

Tack
My dad I think trust me, but doesn't want the extra stress of worrying about it, and that quote is awesome lol

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When your parents were raising you, it was their duty to make up the rules for you. Now it is your duty to make up the rules for your kid. Thank them for their advice and do what you think is best. If they take issue with your decision, thank them for their advice and move on......and maybe dress the kid as Rambo for Halloween. IOW, don't be a dick, but raise your own kid.

My sister is anti-gun; i email her ads for tasers and pepper spray and occaisionally comment on the probability of her mini-dogs outrunning her in the event of a burglary.

Regarding their insurance on their rental property: Let them know that you have a safe & store the firearm in the safe then offer to answer any other questions their insurance agent has. You should make sure that your agent knows about it for your renter's insurance.

Personally, i don't see a reason to unload the pistol if it is in the locked safe. Most of what is in my safe is loaded; it stays locked if others have access.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keginth28 View Post
We live in there rent house and they say if we have a gun, they have to put it on there insurance, do u know if thats true?
That is NOT true in many cases.

Are you actually renting a house from them, or living with them and paying rent? There is a big difference there, if it's also their primary home, then maybe they do have to put it on their insurance, IDK.

I do know this though, I've never done anything but rent, have never owned my own home. I have never been asked, nor would I ever volunteer the information, nor would I give the information if I were asked, if I have a gun.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keginth28
My parents have a problem with me having a gun in the house bc I have a 3 year old son. I have a safe for it! And it's not loaded!
People will always have problems with you having firearms (not weapons Tack ) sometimes its people close to us. You can try to take them to the range with you or take a firearms safety class with them so they can see the firearm doesn't just go off because you look at it, or ignore their opinion move on with you day as usual and realize as long as nightline 20/20 sixty minutes and any other histeria causing show is on the air people are going to see you as a bad person because you have a firearm. So is the day in which we live. Too much fear of "what if" not enough "oh well"

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

i would say if your not teaching your child about firearms and firearms safety as soon as they can walk talk and are well past the "this is mine" stage your being a bad parent.

i also think that unless your parents are paying for your home or apartment its none of their business.

children who understand firearms and are taught safety are more likely to go through life as a well adjusted individual. sheltering a child from "the dangers of the world" leaves them ill prepaired

anyway just my opinion take it for what its worth

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...