Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   p95 for the trail?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/p95-trail-23379/)

old fart 02-13-2010 03:08 PM

p95 for the trail??

i have a p95, had two recently but money problems got me to sell one. i am going on a little hiking outdoors adventure with some friends of mine, but they said i need a revolver for a woods gun not an auto. is the p95 ok as a trail gun?, the most critters we'll see around here are coyoties or the occasional rabid skunk, coon or other vermin. black bears have been known to travel thru here but are as rare as hens teeth. so do yall think the p95 is ok for a trail gun?, the only way for me to get a revover now is to sell the p95 and i don't want to do that. thanks for any help.

jimbobpissypants 02-13-2010 03:51 PM

Unless you will be hiking for an extended time,(weeks) I wouldn't sell the 95 for a revolver. Just try to keep it as debris free as possible.
Our troops have been dragging autos through mud, sand, snow and everything else for years.

canebrake 02-13-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 229963)
i have a p95, had two recently but money problems got me to sell one. i am going on a little hiking outdoors adventure with some friends of mine, but they said i need a revolver for a woods gun not an auto. is the p95 ok as a trail gun?, the most critters we'll see around here are coyoties or the occasional rabid skunk, coon or other vermin. black bears have been known to travel thru here but are as rare as hens teeth. so do yall think the p95 is ok for a trail gun?, the only way for me to get a revover now is to sell the p95 and i don't want to do that. thanks for any help.

It would help to know where you will be hiking.

Your friends are correct about the revolver. The reason is generally for attacks from larger predators than your skunk. Should you get jumped by a bear or mountain lion and shove the autoloader into it's chest you have just disabled the action. A revolver will still fire.

willfully armed 02-13-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 229963)
the most critters we'll see around here are coyoties .

Your kidding, right?

Dont hear of many coyotes attacking humans.

a proper trail gun would be 10mm, 357 mag, 41 mag.
Of course you could go bigger, but bigger is heavier.

CA357 02-13-2010 05:11 PM

Something is better than nothing. Unless you're going to bear and cougar country, the P95 will work okay, but nine millimeter is a pretty anemic round for larger critters.

Ruger makes stout pistols, so you shouldn't have any dependability issues.

If you plan on spending much time in the woods, a big bore revolver is most definitely better. At some point, plan to pick up a revolver and as was said, at minimum a .357 will give you some horsepower.

My favorite woods gun was a S&W model 29 Mountain Gun in .44 magnum. (alas, it's gone) I'm happy with my .357's and prefer a 6" barrel for the trail. It lets the powder get burned and gives a bit more velocity.

BTW, in my thirties I used to backpack the Sierras' with a .22 revolver. ;)

Hobo Bob 02-13-2010 05:18 PM

Just make sure you get behind one of your friends with the big gun real fast. :)

Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it. You gun will be fine. The odds of something coming after a large group of noisy guys going down the trail, is greater than you getting struck by lightning. If you are going out now most of the bears are in hibernation, coyotes will be miles away from you. You'll never see one. The only thing that will probably tick you off is the raccoons coming in at night trying to get a free meal.

IGETEVEN 02-13-2010 05:35 PM

Hell, if you are comfortable with that P95, and it's all you got, it should be fine for what you are gonna do and where you are gonna be. You are not going to be hunting, and chances are, you will be making enough noise to scare off any animals that will be around and hear you coming anyway.

Just add a nice, sharp, fixed blade knife to your belt, and you can carry a stout walking stick, if wanted, for walking stability and added safety.

Unless you are gonna be dragging a big-ass ham, bacon or raw steak behind you with a rope, chances are, you are not gonna attract any unwanted attention by them critters. :rolleyes:

Jack

Viking 02-13-2010 06:08 PM

As long as you're with some friends carrying enough fire power, just in case of a bear encounter, I wouldn't worry. I'd be more concerned about bad two legged animals, in which case the P95 would work just fine. As for me when I'm hiking I carry my .44 Redhawk, heavy but then where I live there is a lot of bear and cougar around.

stalkingbear 02-13-2010 06:49 PM

Load your P95 with +P hollowpoints and you'll be good to go in your area. I'm not a fan of 9mm but you already have it and feel comfortable with it. I'd be putting pennies back to save up for a decent used .357 for when you can afford it.

CornCod 02-13-2010 08:54 PM

You should be OK. Now, of you were going on big outdoor adventures all the time, I might change my mind, but the Ruger should serve you well. Most of the nasty creatures I find in the woods are two-legged anyway.