Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > P250 - Bought on a whim, made a mistake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default P250 - Bought on a whim, made a mistake?

Hi All,

I've been testing a few guns out recently for my first purchase (Glock 26, Glock 19, HK P2000, XDM), and I went to a local gun show yesterday.

I was looking for a decent deal on a Glock 19, but from my discussions with most vendors, it was the most sought-after gun at the show. The best price on a Gen-4 that I saw was $545, but that wasn't even available anymore.

Then, I laid eyes on a new two-tone Sig P250 9mm for $385 (+tax). Having never shot the gun before, but liking the feel of it in my hands, I bit. Honestly, I was very much swayed by the price and felt like I was getting a great deal.

Now doing my research today, I've come to find that most websites are heavily discounting the Sig P250, and some people are complaining about jamming. I've yet to shoot the gun (I only bought it yesterday!) but now I'm afraid I've "made a huge mistake" (to quote Arrested Development...).

Before I "break it in" and shoot it, should I consider trying to resell it? Am I judging too quickly, or is there really something wrong with the P250?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

There are plenty of p250 detractors and it's not a gun I would choose. But that's why they're now available for under $400. They have to get under the price point of the more popular Glocks, XDs, etc.

Take it out and shoot it. As long as you take good care of it you're not going to impact the resale value. Maybe it'll be a great fit for you. And if it's not? You should have little trouble moving it along to it's future owner (via private sale) for $300+ and you'll have learned about that gun in the process.

As long as you don't go adding a bunch of mags and accessories to it in the mean time, you're not going to lose much money if you decide to sell.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a P250 in full size .45. Different cal but had no jamming issues. What I did have a problem with was the trigger. I tried to learn the trigger break for more precise shots but it didn't work out, I startled myself more than anything. DOA trigg pull was to long for ME, but also its not a target pistol either. What it is good for is ccw and people who are worried about 1 rnd being the chamber. AD is almost impossible unless you (pull the trigger with two hands cuz that's what it'll take).

Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5107 Times on 2657 Posts
Likes Given: 310

its no longer new so shooting it wont drop the value anymore than has already happened. long as you dont abuse it. but its always wise to never buy without research. impulse buys at gunshows usually never has a good ending.

i would say shoot it and see. sig has a good repair policy. if you dont like it sell it and take it as a lesson learned on impulse buying.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've not shot one bu I really can't see where it would stack up worse than any other Sig Sauer. Every Sig I've owned and/or shot have always been great weapons. Take it down..Clean and lube it, and send some lead down range. If you don't like it then sell it off and get sometihng else. Try to bare in mind that every pistol made has it's share of detractors. With the weapon in your hands you might as well see how it shoots. If it stands up to the Sig motto you should be pretty happy with it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I might give you $10 for the thing if you are so worried about your purchase.

Get the correct ammo, make sure the mags are in good shape, and follow the user's manual.

After you have 500 rounds through it, come back and ask the same question.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

As others have already stated what matters most is what you think. If the gun has a good feel and you shoot it well then its a keeper. If not its still a SIG so quality and resale should not be an issue.

If you decide to sell it I'll double down on Dan's $10.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default sig 250

$385 + tax, Geez, wish they'ed been that here at TX gunshow, mkt hall, this wknd. You just might have yourself a very fine firearm there at a very good price. I've used all sorts of handguns and for the most part, they do what they are supposed to do. You liked what you bought at the show, I would too, they are nice looking guns, take it out and enjoy it. Chances are, this gun will perofrm and function just fine. Now, if your used to shooting $1200 Smith's and Kimbers, just be sure you don't compare it to them or you will be let down. And if the gun jams, my experience has been that 9 outta 10x's it's ammo failure. Feed it what it likes, most people who own o ne will already have idea's what to use.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #9

Wow, y'all sure do know how to make a girl feel better about her purchase!

I'm definitely planning on taking this to the range this weekend. The gun feels great in my hands, but then again that's not precisely the point, now is it?

Gunsavy, The trigger pull doesnt bother me yet, though the double action on the p2000 startled me with every shot. (I kept squeezing, thinking "now!.....now!....now??"). I fully intend to practice enough so that I'm *never* surprised when the gun actually goes off.

Drumjunky, I'm sure hoping my sig will stand behind that motto. I'm getting my concealed permit in a few weeks, and you have no idea how ticked I would be if during a robbery (or worse) this little puppy decides to jam. Not taking any risks though. If I don't trust this gun to work at the range, how could I ever trust it with my life?

Danf, 500 rounds sounds like a good plan...I've heard from several people that these guns in particular need some breaking in.
Danf and jpyle, If I don't like it, I think my parent might like a steeply discounted gun (though I would probably ask for a bit more than 20 bucks). If they don't take me up on my offer I might come back...

Paul, I saw these guns from 385, my friend got the used for 425, and then some booths had them for upwards of 525. Same story with the 33 glock magazines...anywhere from 40 to 70.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom View Post
I'm definitely planning on taking this to the range this weekend. The gun feels great in my hands, but then again that's not precisely the point, now is it?
That's not the entire point, but it's a great deal of it. The remainder would of course be trigger pull and reliable function. The function part will probably be just fine, but that'll only be proven through a few range sessions.

You'll do fine if you feel the need to sell it. You got this firearm for the right price, so you'll come out in good shape. I've seen a handful of them sell used on a local online classified forum. Always north of $300, and generally $350-400.