Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on SR22 & M&P 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Opinions on SR22 & M&P 22

I'm looking to buy a 22 semi auto pistol. I have looked at and researched several different guns and narrowed it down to the Ruger SR 22 and Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I really liked the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK III but the take down and cleaning is a real PITA. The main reason for the 22 is my two oldest grandsons really like to shoot my Glock 19 but with 9mm being scarce and expensive I need to go to something a little more practical for plinking. So any information I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2698 Times on 1852 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy
I'm looking to buy a 22 semi auto pistol. I have looked at and researched several different guns and narrowed it down to the Ruger SR 22 and Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I really liked the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK III but the take down and cleaning is a real PITA. The main reason for the 22 is my two oldest grandsons really like to shoot my Glock 19 but with 9mm being scarce and expensive I need to go to something a little more practical for plinking. So any information I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The Buckmark is not Nearly as difficult to take down as the Rugers are. I clean my Wife's for her, I should know....I have Rented the SR 22. Very nice, but I wish the barrel was a bit longer.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

22lr may be cheaper, but the 9mm is probably more available right now.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Buy the MP22.

I like the S&W and the Ruger, as well as the Ruger and Browning target-type pistols. But the Ruger SR22 is pretty well a subcompact that won't lend itself to easy accuracy for novice shooters. It's a perfectly good gun otherwise. My mother has the SR22 and I might get one for myself...but the S&W MP22 is just going to be a more pragmatic and versatile plinker. It's got the size, barrel length, and sight radius of a standard combat pistol, and a 12rd capacity to boot.

Both are excellent guns. The S&W will simply be more practical for most folks.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1704 Times on 889 Posts
Likes Given: 341

I have large hands and the SR22 is surprisingly a very good fit, when using the magazine extension on the grip. A great gun for everyone in my family, the sights etc. are very good trainers for my SR40. I don't know much about the S&W or the MP; I DO know that .22LR is harder to find than a unicorn where I live

Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
The Buckmark is not Nearly as difficult to take down as the Rugers are. I clean my Wife's for her, I should know....I have Rented the SR 22. Very nice, but I wish the barrel was a bit longer.
I've heard the same thing concerning the Buckmark from people I know that have both or have owned both at one time. I plan on renting both the SR 22 and the M&P to get a feel for each. I had the same thought when I handled the SR at the lgs. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
22lr may be cheaper, but the 9mm is probably more available right now.
Luckily I've got a pretty good supply of 22lr and it's becoming more readily available in my area. And your right about the 9mm. It's a little harder to find the target ammo but the self defense is easy to find. Thank you for your comments, like I said I appreciate all the information I can get.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I would get the M&P 22. I like the size, bigger magazine, and fantastic trigger.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
Buy the MP22. I like the S&W and the Ruger, as well as the Ruger and Browning target-type pistols. But the Ruger SR22 is pretty well a subcompact that won't lend itself to easy accuracy for novice shooters. It's a perfectly good gun otherwise. My mother has the SR22 and I might get one for myself...but the S&W MP22 is just going to be a more pragmatic and versatile plinker. It's got the size, barrel length, and sight radius of a standard combat pistol, and a 12rd capacity to boot. Both are excellent guns. The S&W will simply be more practical for most folks.
I thought the same thing concerning the size of the two. One of main reasons I'm still looking at SR is the difference in price. The M&P is pretty close to same size as my G19 and the boys wouldn't notice much difference as far as size. Both of the boys are very good shots and the oldest one continues to move farther back and works at it until he's as accurate farther back. The younger one will do the same but it takes him a little longer. Of course he's four years younger but he's just as determined as the older one. Both are very athletic and have great hand eye coordination. I know it would take them more time to adjust to the smaller SR but they love challenges and I don't think it would be very long before before they adapted. As much as I've spent on 9mm ammo for them to shot I could have bought both guns by now. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
I have large hands and the SR22 is surprisingly a very good fit, when using the magazine extension on the grip. A great gun for everyone in my family, the sights etc. are very good trainers for my SR40. I don't know much about the S&W or the MP; I DO know that .22LR is harder to find than a unicorn where I live
Thanks for your comments. That's the reason I joined the forum. I knew I would get great information from all the members. I thought the SR would be a good gun for my granddaughters to shot if and when they show an interest . I'm kind of leaning towards buying both after reading everybody's input. Maybe one will distinguish itself when I rent and shot both and make my decision easier. Of course it may make me buy both. Again thanks everybody for your input.