Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #51
jjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well, I went home to FL for the weekend. There happened to be a gun show in town so I stopped by to see if I could handle a .45 XD. It felt good in my hands, too. I assumed that it would fire as nicely as the XDM, so I went ahead and bought it--my first handgun! I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can go back and pick it up, though. Thanks to everyone for their input on the gun.

Now on to holsters. I guess I'll need to wait until I have it (and my permit) to see what fits best on my body. Does anyone have any initial suggestions on a holster type, brand, or position? I'm probably going to be carrying it around in FL more than in TN, so I'll be wearing less/lighter clothing.

Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The XD 45 is a smooth-shooting gun. A couple of friends of mine have them, and they are very happy with them.

Was that the gun show in Jacksonville by any chance?

Personally, I carry outside the waistband under an untucked, button-down shirt. My favorite holsters for that are the Blackhawk Serpa and the I-Tac. They are polymer holsters, they have adjustable cant, and they have a retention feature that requires you to push a button to release the gun from the holster. The button is right where your trigger finger should go in order to draw with the finger alongside the trigger.

If you're going to carry inside the waistband, you should probably go shopping for some more pants.

And in either case, you're going to want a good belt. When you pick up your gun (I'm guessing it'll be at a gun shop) look around for belts.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post

If you're going to carry inside the waistband, you should probably go shopping for some more pants.

And in either case, you're going to want a good belt. When you pick up your gun (I'm guessing it'll be at a gun shop) look around for belts.
No disrespect, but I completely disagree w/ the first suggestion and partially disagree w/ the second.

Before I start. . . this may not apply to ALL those that wear Wrangler's or other tight fitting pants, but I do about half the time and here is what my experience is w/ inside the waistband:

This form of carry and its success of concealment is completely dependent on the build of the individual and his/her normal dress style. Myself and most of the people I work with utilize a belt to hold his/her pants where they feel comfortable wearing them, not just for fashion. Also, everyone is built differently. With this in mind almost EVERY person has a spot on their waistband that provides an "inlet" in contrast to their overall shape. (Think of this as an above view or "floor plan" to one's waistline) This "inlet" or "inlets" are the target spot for one to conceal a weapon intended for personal protection. After establishing these possibilities for the first determination of "where/how to carry", the next is the individual's preference for comfort in case of having to draw the weapon, in addition to the overall comfort of having to carry this weapon throughout an entire day. An example of these choices would be small of back vs. front of torso. Because the location of an Inside the Waistband carry is typically in a spot on the body that does not carry the full (if any) load of a person's pants. This form of carry SHOULD NOT EVER require the increase of pant size.

I myself am built about 6'3" 205 (depending on the time of year) and my spot of choice is my dominant front side, between my leg and torso. I can pretty much wear anything and the weapon is concealed with a size 2 Uncle Mike's. (not a pea shooter either) I can sit through a dinner, drive or whatever and feel no discomfort. When I began carrying I wore the same clothes I did before!!!

As far as the "Good Belt". This may be necessary depending on the holster you choose, NOT the overall concealment factor. There are times that the fit of pants (sometimes even shorts) does not even require me to wear a belt for the use of my holster much less something you can't get at your local western/farmers clothing store (everyone has those don't they) Either way a good "Carhartt" belt ($20-$30) will support any gun you wish to conceal, PLUS mags (if that's how you roll).

Everyone is different as should be their carry style and location preferences.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 11-10-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #54

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ill drop a name here--

AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.

I have one for my 4" USP, and one for my Steyr M40(shich also holds my G20 nicely).

He also make reinforced carry belts.

Take a look.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #55
jjp

It was actually the show in West Palm Beach.

I guess I'll have to try out some holsters at the gun shop, or shop around after I go pick it up.

What is meant by a quality belt? Won't a belt produced by a reputable clothing company work? Is there really that much of a need for a reinforced belt? What do I need to look for when shopping for one? This doesn't sound like a lesson I want to learn the hard way.

Also, I've been reading around. What is meant by polishing the barrel? What is the purpose of doing it?

Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #56

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 234

In general good quality belts mostly come from outfits like Don Hume or other quality holster manufacturers, those that supply law enforcement agencies. A lot of belts made by reputable clothing companies are often made with thin split leather glued together, they are not always firm enough to support the weight of holstered weapons and ammo pouches without sagging or leaning outward. Diggsbakes could get away a greater variety of conceiling a weapon than I or others as skinny as I am, 5'11" 165 lbs. It's very hard not to have weapon patterns show on our outer clothing. During the summer months I use a waist pouch which I possition over my left front pants pocket. For cooler weather I have an Uncle Mike's that I have stitched the belt loop so that the pistol has a forward cant, this is easily covered by a long loose sweat shirt.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

jjp,

Belts come in a lot of varieties and at a lot of price levels. The most basic is a heavy D-ring belt. I don't know if they allow these in the Marines. When I was in the Army, a lot of guys liked wearing them, usually made from cargo straps used for air drops. But you can find anything from these on up to elephant skin.

When you asked about polishing the barrel, did you perhaps mean polishing the feed ramp? I know people polish just about any part of a gun, but I've mostly heard of people polishing feed ramps. I wouldn't recommend doing that on your XD. First, polishing a feed ramp is usually done to remedy a problem feeding rounds into the chamber. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you've put some rounds through that gun with no problems, you probably aren't going to have a feed ramp issue unless some damage gets done to it. Second, if there is a problem with the feed ramp, send it back to Springfield, and they'll fix it. There is no surer way to void the warranty on your gun than to take tools to it yourself.

This is just my opinion, but I'd say leave it as it is for a while, put some rounds through it and see how you like it. Then, if you want to make some adjustments, you'll have a better idea of what you want.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #58

I'd recommend starting out with a 9mm.. The Glock 19 or the S&W M&P are two of the best.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would recommend a Sig P229 or the XD compact model. You can not go wrong with either one. Never used or carried a Glock 19 but I just bought one for my wife for X-mas.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #60

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
I'd recommend starting out with a 9mm.. The Glock 19 or the S&W M&P are two of the best.

Just curious.... Why do you reccomend that?

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Tags
g21, g30, p250