Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #31
jjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
If you are receiving training, you should have no problem choosing a weapon. Good Luck!

Doesn't the US Marines train their soldiers to use sidearms? I don't know, I've never been in the services, but a friend of mine was recently honorably discharged and he's a hell of a shot with anything. (as much as I hate to admit it)
We do train with sidearms. However, an overwhelming emphasis is put on rifles and larger machine guns. For the lower ranks, pistol training tends to be minimal unless someone is deploying, it's directly related to their job, or the opportunity happens to come up; it's not necessarily required like M16 marksmanship is.

I'm not receiving any outside training. I just took a handgun safety course that covered handgun safety and some state laws. It was very basic.

By the way, we're not soldiers, we're Marines. Calling Marines soldiers tends to be received as an insult. No worries, though. Just passing on a little information.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If you're going to conceal around the way you already dress, I suggest carrying inside the waistband (IWB). There are plenty of holsters available for this style of carry, and there are even some that will allow you to tuck your shirt in. The good news with carrying IWB is that you don't have to worry as much about concealing the barrel length — it's more a question of how far down your pants you are willing to have the muzzle. If you wear very baggy shirts and keep them untucked, you might be able to conceal a decent-sized gun outside the waistband (OWB).

I recommend that you shoot everything you can get your hands on. The more guns you get to shoot, the more you'll know about what you will want in your own. And more than just shooting them, you should manipulate all the controls. If the gun is single action/double action (SA/DA), make sure you fire it from both positions. Change magazines. Load the magazines. Manipulate the safety. Rack the slide.

Once you make a choice, make sure there is a holster to fit it that you think you will like. Then make sure there are other holsters to fit it, because it won't be long before you want to at least try something else.

And once all that is done, don't be surprised when you want something else. No matter how happy you are with your gun, you are likely to want something for different situations, such as a "pocket gun." And as your lifestyle and needs change, you will want something to fit your new set of circumstances.

Most of all, enjoy it.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp View Post

By the way, we're not soldiers, we're Marines. Calling Marines soldiers tends to be received as an insult. No worries, though. Just passing on a little information.

I just thought my sentence would've read funny with the word "Marines" twice, back to back. I hear you though. I hate filling out forms that I have to check Caucasian as my ethnicity. Where the hell is Caucasia? Anglo sounds lame too. Why don't they just have a "Pure Breed White Boy" option?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 AM   #34
jjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
If you're going to conceal around the way you already dress, I suggest carrying inside the waistband (IWB). ... If you wear very baggy shirts and keep them untucked, you might be able to conceal a decent-sized gun outside the waistband (OWB).

... If the gun is single action/double action (SA/DA), make sure you fire it from both positions. Change magazines. Load the magazines. Manipulate the safety. Rack the slide.

Most of all, enjoy it.
Thanks a lot. Especially since I've had some fun trying to figure out those acronyms on other threads. I wouldn't have thought about some of those points. I think I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully without having to buy a new box of ammunition for each gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I just thought my sentence would've read funny with the word "Marines" twice, back to back. I hear you though. I hate filling out forms that I have to check Caucasian as my ethnicity. Where the hell is Caucasia? Anglo sounds lame too. Why don't they just have a "Pure Breed White Boy" option?
Hahaha. I hear you on that. I'm not white, yet I always have to check it for 'race' (via process of elimination).

Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #35
jjp

Well, I went to the range today as I mentioned before. It was pretty interesting. I was able to shoot about 7 handguns, including the Glock 21 and Glock 30 that were in the opening post. I shot 3 in .45 caliber and the other 4 in 9mm since it allowed a bigger selection of their rental guns. In case anyone's interested, here are a few of my thoughts:

Glock 30 (.45):
A little small; easiest to conceal; the grip felt a little small in my hands; shooting got a fair amount of residue (or carbon or gun powder, I don't really know what you call it) on me

Glock 21 (.45):

A little large; might be a problem concealing; wide magazine for a single-stack; also got me a little dirty; the grip size felt nice in my hands

Nighthawk Custom GRP (1911, .45):
Good size (a little large), but not too thick; didn't get me as dirty as the previous two; I liked the external safeties; felt great in my hand; might take a little effort for concealing; one of my favorites

Glock 19 (9mm):
The size was a happy medium between the G21 and G30; again, the magazine was a little bulky for a single stack (can someone explain why?); the casing for my 9th round jammed while being ejected; got me a little dirty, but with much finer particles; I think it'll be ok to conceal

Ruger SR9 (9mm):
A little larger than the G19; larger magazine capacity; I liked the external safeties; indicator for loaded chamber; felt good in my hand; I think it'll be ok to conceal, too; little residue; also one of my favorites

Sig P226 (9mm):
Good size; grip felt very nice in my hands; larger magazine capacity; little residue; good size for concealment; no external safeties (DEALBREAKER)!; I inspected a P250 that was for sale and noticed the same lack of safeties, so I guess that's off the list completely

Springfield XDM (9mm):
A little large; large magazine capacity; external safeties; loaded chamber indicator; felt good in my hands; little residue; might take some effort to conceal; I liked this one, too

I think I learned a lot today. I guess the P250 is out. If I could find an affordable 1911 (good quality) that might be my first choice. I liked the Ruger and Springfield as well. The Glocks were nice, but they left a considerable amount of particles on my arms.

Can anyone give me some feedback on their experiences with Rugers (maybe a .45 version) and on a Springfield XD? Also, what about quality 1911 manufacturers?

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I tried to keep as much as I could in mind when firing today.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #36
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp View Post
We do train with sidearms. However, an overwhelming emphasis is put on rifles and larger machine guns. For the lower ranks, pistol training tends to be minimal unless someone is deploying, it's directly related to their job, or the opportunity happens to come up; it's not necessarily required like M16 marksmanship is.

I'm not receiving any outside training. I just took a handgun safety course that covered handgun safety and some state laws. It was very basic.

USMC does a fine job of training Marines in the use of a sidearm, I'm long in tooth but my son just completed four years in the USMC and has exceptional skills with a pistol thanks to the USMC. Pretty hard to expect better training than the USMC.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #37

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Glock 30, 21, and 19 not single stack

I'm surprised I'm the first one to state the obvious response. Those Glocks you tested aren't single stacks. The reason they are as thick as a double stack is because they are.

What sort of residue are you speaking of? My range only allows clean fire CCI Blazer so maybe I've never fired a lot of dirtier stuff, but what residue would be visible after some firing? Even a box or two? I've fired box after box after box and never felt like I had anything on my hands. I know that microscopically I was veritably covered, but I didn't sense anything. Maybe you are more sensitive than I.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The Springfield XDs come in enough shapes and sizes that you may be able to find one that suits you better.

If you want an external safety, that pretty well rules out Sigs and Glocks.

As far as carry 1911s, there are a number of quality commander models (4-4.25") for around $900...but finding a shop with them in stock can be tricky. SW makes some decent commander models under $1000. If you're lucky enough you might stumble upon a Colt or Kimber at a similar price.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #39
jjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm surprised I'm the first one to state the obvious response. Those Glocks you tested aren't single stacks. The reason they are as thick as a double stack is because they are.

What sort of residue are you speaking of? My range only allows clean fire CCI Blazer so maybe I've never fired a lot of dirtier stuff, but what residue would be visible after some firing? Even a box or two? I've fired box after box after box and never felt like I had anything on my hands. I know that microscopically I was veritably covered, but I didn't sense anything. Maybe you are more sensitive than I.
Thank you for clarifying about the magazines. I guess I just judged them by looking at the indicators on the back of the magazine (whether they were in a row or staggered). Thinking about it now, I guess with the size of the round it does make sense that they'd have to be double-stacked to fit that many rounds in that magazine length.

The residue particles I'm speaking of look like very visible flakes of (possibly) caked gunpowder getting blown back at me after a round is fired. Some of them were pretty large, especially from the .45 Glocks. I haven't done a great deal of shooting before today, but I've never noticed them on me before. I only fired 2 boxes of ammo for all seven guns. I noticed the residue while firing around 15 rounds per gun. I suppose that it might just be that the handguns weren't all that clean. It could have been carbon from previous shooters that wasn't cleaned and hardened into flakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The Springfield XDs come in enough shapes and sizes that you may be able to find one that suits you better.

If you want an external safety, that pretty well rules out Sigs and Glocks.

As far as carry 1911s, there are a number of quality commander models (4-4.25") for around $900...but finding a shop with them in stock can be tricky. SW makes some decent commander models under $1000. If you're lucky enough you might stumble upon a Colt or Kimber at a similar price.
I'll look into XDs a little more. If it feels anything like the XDM I tried, it should feel pretty comfortable, too. The 1911s still seem a little out of my price range for now. Maybe I'll get one as my second handgun, when I have a real job.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You really can't go wrong with the xd's. They are a little thick and blocky, but the right set-up makes the difference in concealing.

Tags
g21, g30, p250