Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Never understood.

I just don't understand the need or whatever for a 30 round super duper pooper farter. I like nearly all of them, I love my old Hi-Power. BUT If I can't get the job done with 8 rounds of .45 in a 1911. I am not going to get it done with 13 out of the Browning. Many speak out the 1911 being an old design. What is old about getting it right the first time. Cane, and JD got me started on the 1911, wish I had done it many years sooner.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Col. Jeff Cooper
There are no people out there, regardless of expertise or qualifications, that can accurately predict the time, location, number of hostiles, and nature of a gunfight (amongst other things).

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
There are no people out there, regardless of expertise or qualifications, that can accurately predict the time, location, number of hostiles, and nature of a gunfight (amongst other things).
Oh really?? NO ONE??
cleo6.jpg  

Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Well, I do know of a branch of the military called the U.S. Air force, Sgt. Miller, that uses those armed Predator Drones, equipped with CCVM and they are very accurate and predictable over there in the sandbox at those very things, and with stealth........taking all threats out with a missile.

But your statement is correct, that none of us have those types of capabilities in a handgun confrontation, on our own, for sure.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Good point. Also I have never witnessed a malfunction from any of my own or any of my range buddies Glocks or XDs, and that would amount to 10's of thousands of rounds. I can't say that for the 1911. I know there are threads from guys that have had trouble with the XD, but it seems it's only the .40 cal XDM you hear about.

I personally carry revolvers with 2-3 speedloaders. With practice you can get pretty fast at reloading, darn close or just as fast to that of a magazine replacement. Also you are throwing some serious firepower from an accurate gun (3" barrel minimum).

Semis have their place too, just in case you have to throw 12+ rounds at a target, but my primary comfort lies with wheelguns.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 11-01-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

IGETEVEN posted:

Quote:
Well, I do know of a branch of the military called the U.S. Air force, Sgt. Miller, that uses those armed Predator Drones, equipped with CCVM and they are very accurate and predictable over there in the sandbox at those very things, and with stealth........taking all threats out with a missile.

But your statement is correct, that none of us have those types of capabilities in a handgun confrontation, on our own, for sure.
We call em flying lawnmowers.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Of your three choices, I would go Glock 30. I carry a 36. Fewer rounds, but lighter and smaller.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Over the past 30 years I've owned many weapons, single and double action wheel guns, and autos of various calibers. Right now I own an XDm in 40 S&W, Stoeger in 40 S&W (which I use for ccw), Bersa mod.83 in .380, ss Ruger Redhawk 44 mag which I've owned for over 20 years and has put more venison in the freezer than my rifles, Charter Arms 44 Bulldog, and a MkII Ruger 22. My favorite all time weapon - 1911 A1, if 1911's were not so spendy and I hadn't already settled on 40 S&W for my most usable shtf caliber I would get a high quality 1911, probably Springfield considering their quality and service.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
jjp

Thanks for all the feedback. I looked into the Springfield XD and it looks nice, but I've never seen it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
If your caliber choice is .45 ACP and you are not including or even looking at a 1911 you are doing yourself a great disservice!
Some of the one's I've looked at cost more than I can spend right now. I'm a grad student so some cost more than I make in a month!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If you haven't checked into the XD, you should. Also why is the .45 your caliber of choice? It's great, but if you can't afford a 1911, you should look into the .40 S&W if you're going to go in the direction of Glock, Springfield, Sig, etc. Its a good cartridge and it's getting cheaper and more available. (at least here)

Tags
g21, g30, p250