Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
jjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Opinions on 3 possibilities for my first handgun?

I don't know much about handgun manufacturers or models. I'm looking to get my first handgun and I managed to narrow it down to 3 possible choices:

-Sig P250 (compact, .45 ACP)
-Glock 21
-Glock 30

I practiced a little with a .45 ACP handgun and I thought the caliber would be fine. I haven't fired the ones above, but I did handle them for a minute, and they feel pretty good in my hand. I'm planning to use it for concealed carry. Can anyone give me some feedback on their experiences with these? Are there any others I should be looking at instead?

Also, I don't know anything about holsters or positioning. Does anyone have a suggestion about that? I know it will depend on my personal comfort a lot, but maybe someone can suggest a brand of holster or possible positions.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2009, 04:04 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

the p250 is not in the same price range. mmmhéhéhé, in the list, if i had the choice between 2 ugly guns and a nicer one, i would pick the nicer one..that doesn't mean more reliability.

honestly,for a first hangun, i would pick any glock over the sig....not that the sig is crap, it's the opposite actually,but nicer doesn't mean better in my view.

a glock is near half the price (if you get a good deal) and very simple for field stripping and very reliable as any glocks.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Initial fit is very important, but going to a range where you can actually shoot the different guns is extremely important too-perhaps even more so. Natural "pointability" is 1 of the top criteria in fit. That's where when you hold the handgun in your hand pointed at the target, it points "where you look. Now that you have narrowed it down some, try shooting them at the range. This will ultimately determine your selection when you see how they shoot for YOU.

Holster choice all depends on the size of handgun you'll be carrying, the temperatures, and your usual style/mode of dress. It's something that MAY require even more selection process than the handgun itself. Sometimes you might have more than 1 single type of carry depending (again) on your style of dress mode. Most people that's serious about CCW will eventually wind up with more than 1 holster anyway. I suggest you start out with a good IWB (inside waistband) holster. Don't scrimp on quality with holsters. You also have to choose retention level in holster. I'd recommend you stay away from the top level of retention levels as those are meant for duty open carry with LOTS of practice.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would agree with Bear.

Choosing a holster is going to be harder than choosing the weapon itself, because you won't know if it truly works for you, until you put the weapon on and wear it for a day or three.

You will find that most of our members here will have 5 or maybe 10 different types of holsters for their primary piece, and that is because of different dress styles and different conditions of carry.

I have about 10 holsters for my 1911. And that is having sold some ones that I didn't like after I tried them out.

We can give you some names of some good companies to try out, but until you select your weapon, and we know what kind of carry you are looking at doing ( shoulder rig, IWB, belt rig, tummy band ) it's going to be impossible to make a recommendation.

Good luck.

JD

Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It seems that handguns are almost like holsters in this fact: each one has its place and is useful in a different setting.

If I was committed to .45ACP, I would start with the Glock 21 (out of your 3 choices). It is bigger, of course, and so not quite as well suited for carry purposes. But it would be great for taking to the range and shooting it a LOT. For your first handgun, really consider it to be a range gun that you might happen to carry sometimes.

But very soon you'll want to purchase a second handgun that you can carry more easily and comfortably. From your list, that may be the G30, but many more weapons should probably make that list for an EDC in .45ACP.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Before you settle on the pistols listed shoot a S&W M&P 45. After you chose the pistol that fits you the best ask about holsters. As expressed most will buy a few until they finds what fits them best. Much will depend on your carry style/dress.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Glock 30 would be the most practical choice of the the three listed. I'm not a big fan of Glocks, but that model is a powerhouse and is reliable. You can't go wrong with 10 rounds of .45 ACP in a nice compact (and still relatively comfortable) package.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If your caliber choice is .45 ACP and you are not including or even looking at a 1911 you are doing yourself a great disservice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'd have to agree. The 1911 is a beautiful gun to shoot (and look at). Personally, I like Springfield's. I've shot some of their 1911's and loved them and own some from their XD line (which I also can't believe is not in your list). The Glock and Springfield XD are arguably the most reliable semi's on the market (maybe ever) and should definately be considered. But if you want a .45 check out some 1911's, every gun lover must have at least a couple and in the price range you gave, you got options.

I like Glocks, but I LOVE XDs. I also love 1911's but they do have a capacity limitation that some shy away from.

D

Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I like Glocks, but I LOVE XDs. I also love 1911's but they do have a capacity limitation that some shy away from. D
“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Col. Jeff Cooper

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Tags
g21, g30, p250