Opinions on 1911 vs. CZ 75
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Opinions on 1911 vs. CZ 75

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Opinions on 1911 vs. CZ 75

I am purchasing a new pistol shortly for basic club level IPSC shooting. It will be in the standard or lightly modified class, and the shooters I am up against are not world class, so I am not looking for a full race gun, just a nice cheap source of fun.
9mm is the calibre, as anything above that is very hard to get here.
My choices are a 1911 clone or a CZ clone, both made by Norinco.

Any opinions and pro vs. con for the two?

I am leaning towards the 1911 because I like the feel, and all of the custom parts available.
One person at the club already has one, and with a few hundred dollars worth of aftermarket stuff has tuned it into a very competitive gun indeed.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, you aren't going to go wrong EITHER WAY. Norinco makes a really good "knock-off" as knock-off go. The bottom line will be up to you, afterall, you're the one shooting it.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

my vote is the................1911. i want one so bad.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Years ago, before California's "junk gun" ban, a buddy had a Norinco 1911. It was pretty poorly fit. Brand new and right out of the box, there was considerable play between the frame and slide. For a few bucks more you could pick up a Springfield, RIA or Taurus.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Man, that's almost a loaded hand grenade to jump on. Someone is going to come along and crap all over any advice you get.

Competition shooting is something that you either get into it, or you don't. Once you do, the quest for better never stops. I worked on a rifle last month that, literally, has been through the shop 3 times and the guy has won club tournaments with it in all 3 configurations. Total, he probably has $10K-$12K into the damn thing, and he is still tinkering with it. Now he got a Mike Rock 5R barrel - and there was nothing wrong with the Krieger he had before that..

The nice thing about the 1911 platform is that it has made a comeback and it, literally, has parts everywhere. You can buy a basic platform, and with some very basic gunsmith help, turn it into a fine firearm. The problem is, by the time you do that, you could have bought a weapon that would be at the same exact level without all the extra hassle.

The best BASIC advice I would give you is to see what fits your hand well and what you shoot well with. Then from there I would worry about what you can get and how much you can get it for. A slightly used pistol could be had and modified for less than buying small building up as well, just something to keep in mind.

If you want a vote. CZ makes a great weapon, but I don't know about their Chinese knock offs. The 1911, in my opinion, is THE pistol to own - BAR NONE....

JD

Old 11-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The nice thing about the 1911 platform is that it has made a comeback and it, literally, has parts everywhere. You can buy a basic platform, and with some very basic gunsmith help, turn it into a fine firearm. The problem is, by the time you do that, you could have bought a weapon that would be at the same exact level without all the extra hassle.
The problem there is that the slide to frame fit is pretty important and is the most difficult thing to fix on a pistol.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The problem there is that the slide to frame fit is pretty important and is the most difficult thing to fix on a pistol.
No argument from me there, but that is where you get into a "little" gunsmith work versus a "lot" of gunsmith work.

I can take an upper and lower and make them match up pretty decent in an afternoon, maybe two if it's been awhile ( which it has truthfully ) - but you are going to end up paying the shop for more than a few hours, which is going to lead your bargain priced gun well into the next level of pricing.

I can't honestly see stepping into something like IPSC, even at a local club level, without shopping the used guns that other competitors have in their safes, or buying more of a purpose built gun. I think that buying a "range" gun and trying to turn it into an IPSC model is going to be more expensive and more time consuming than it might be worth.

Some people enjoy the challenge of building things themselves and get off on the achievement. Expense is where it comes back to bite you in the rear end though.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #8

Pretty much everyone at my club shoots standard stuff in the IPSC shoots we do, from Beretta 92, to Browning Hi-Power to base model Glock, Tanfoglio etc. There are even a couple of guys doing it with revolvers.
This is not serious balls-out competition for state championships...just a club of around 70 people who love to go out and burn some powder on a weekend.

Secondhand 1911s are like gold dust here and NOT cheap.
A couple of years ago anything above 9mm/.357 was restricted to black powder and fullbore silhouette only, and anything over .44 was banned. Nearly all the 1911s were handed in with .45 barrels in them, so they are just not easy to come by.

I have had a play with both Norincos, and I like the feel on the CZ, but I think I like the feel on the 1911 better...In a few weeks I will get the chance to shoot it at the range, and one bloke there has a genuine CZ I should be able to shoot also.

The CZ is double action, but has no de-cocker. comes in blue or nickel. I quite like the nickel actually.

The price of a package with a 1911 with 4 magazines and an adjustable rear sight from the USA comes to around $800 Aus or about $550 US.
I can put it on lay-by and pay it off over the summer break when there is no competition ( we break up in early December and come back in early Feb) and have it ready to start the new season...

Also our competition is graded. There are only two guys in A-grade who are shooting full scores in 15 seconds that the rest of the club are doing in 30 seconds. Nobody is touching them any time soon, and there is one guy in the anything goes class with a nice piece running optical sights and so forth.
Everybody else is competing with factory fresh or lightly modified ( adjustable sights, trigger job etc) standard 9mms.
We also do a rimfire class for those without a centrefire handgun, with about 3 or 4 people competing in it.

Pretty much this gun is going to be mostly for fun, and be tweaked and refined over time and also be something I can fiddle with and not worry too much if I stuff something up, as all bits are replaceable easily.

On balance I am leaning towards the 1911 fairly strongly so far...

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
Pretty much everyone at my club shoots standard stuff in the IPSC shoots we do, from Beretta 92, to Browning Hi-Power to base model Glock, Tanfoglio etc. There are even a couple of guys doing it with revolvers.
This is not serious balls-out competition for state championships...just a club of around 70 people who love to go out and burn some powder on a weekend.

Secondhand 1911s are like gold dust here and NOT cheap.
A couple of years ago anything above 9mm/.357 was restricted to black powder and fullbore silhouette only, and anything over .44 was banned. Nearly all the 1911s were handed in with .45 barrels in them, so they are just not easy to come by.

I have had a play with both Norincos, and I like the feel on the CZ, but I think I like the feel on the 1911 better...In a few weeks I will get the chance to shoot it at the range, and one bloke there has a genuine CZ I should be able to shoot also.

The CZ is double action, but has no de-cocker. comes in blue or nickel. I quite like the nickel actually.

The price of a package with a 1911 with 4 magazines and an adjustable rear sight from the USA comes to around $800 Aus or about $550 US.
I can put it on lay-by and pay it off over the summer break when there is no competition ( we break up in early December and come back in early Feb) and have it ready to start the new season...

Also our competition is graded. There are only two guys in A-grade who are shooting full scores in 15 seconds that the rest of the club are doing in 30 seconds. Nobody is touching them any time soon, and there is one guy in the anything goes class with a nice piece running optical sights and so forth.
Everybody else is competing with factory fresh or lightly modified ( adjustable sights, trigger job etc) standard 9mms.
We also do a rimfire class for those without a centrefire handgun, with about 3 or 4 people competing in it.

Pretty much this gun is going to be mostly for fun, and be tweaked and refined over time and also be something I can fiddle with and not worry too much if I stuff something up, as all bits are replaceable easily.

On balance I am leaning towards the 1911 fairly strongly so far...

My pride & joy:

Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #10

If you like the feel of the CZ but are concerned about action types, the 75 is offered in a S/A only and a de-cocker model as well. I am awaiting the delivery of my second CZ75B in .40. I love those guns. I like the 1911 too, but not to the extent that some others do. You don't have the after market support that you do with the 1911 platform, but here are some places that can help out if you choose the CZ:

http://www.ghostholster.com

Jim Miossi gun works also specializes in CZ work.

CZ doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but if it keeps the price down, that's okay with me.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-