Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Only one 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let me solve this problem for everyone...XD9...pick your barrel length.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #102

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Let me solve this problem for everyone...XD9...pick your barrel length.
You might be solving it for some other people, but if by "everyone" you were including yours truly, I am going to have VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE with you.

JD

Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #103

In this order, if I were forced to just one 9mm...
1) H&K P7M8
2) Browning Hi Power (without mag drop saftey)
3) M&P9 (without mag drop safety)
4) Glock 19 (with G17 mags for back ups)
5) XD9 (any size preferably duty sized for me)

I have owned the first four and shot all 5. All are excellent but its very hard to beat a 1911 in 45acp, P7M8 & the Hi Power. Very smooth, very short first shot + reset & very accurate. If we are talking money wise, I would go with the M&P9 or the Glock 19. I went from (for duty use) a P7 to a Glock 19 to Springfield 1911 to Glock 19 to a Kimber Tactical Pro Carry II to the M&P9. Which one do I like the best for all round shooting? The P7, the Hi Power & the M&P9.

If you were to ask me which one in 45acp, it would have been Kimber 1911 Tactical Pro Carry II, Springfield TRP series 1911, Springfield XD & M&P45.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #104

im going to jump on the HI-POWER bandwagon here as well... not that i dont love me all kinds of 9mm pistols, but it pretty much has the best of all features considering this thread says theorhetically you only get ONE pistol. might as well make it try to fit best into all the molds...

-its slim and comfortable so you could carry it

-its a proven design so you know it should be reliable

-it has decent to high capacity for target and fun shooting

-good trigger (with the right stuff, of course :P)

-universally good pointability and grip comfortability

-ease of ammo access and parts available

-durability... if i only get one, i want one that is going to last me a while

Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #105

And Plus 1 for the new guy - first he comes in by way of Google, then he posts an introduction without a link to some ridiculious website and THEN he loves the Hi-Power.

I might have to keep him around as defense against you Glock Jackals.

JD

Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And Plus 1 for the new guy - first he comes in by way of Google, then he posts an introduction without a link to some ridiculious website and THEN he loves the Hi-Power.

I might have to keep him around as defense against you Glock Jackals.

JD

-HA! the hi-power is on my list of "stuff i want to buy when i actually have extra money :P. there are a couple of dealers close to me that have them, though one is an "actual" browning and it's in .40 s&w (not a big fan), and the other is a charles daly in 9mm, so yeah... besides all of that, i think it just fits the best bill for the question that actually RELATES to this topic, ya know? all 9mm vs .45 arguments and all SA/DA vs SAO vs DAO/glock blahblahblahblah witchhunts aside... the Hi-power has the best combo of features for all around 9mm pistol (if i had to choose just one) in my opinion...

:tips hat to dillinger:

-thank you, sir...

-as for HCSO249, ive never had the opportunity to handle/fire the HK P7M8, but i would love to. i bought up one of the P7 imports from the german police and i love it... though it didnt make the cut for me "one and only 9mm" just because mine heated up like nobodies business. that took it out of the casual shooting category because i couldnt put more than 4 magazines through it in quick succession without it becoming a back-up stove burner in my hand. i'd say it is possibly me #1 9mm CCW choice though, seeing as that i am a small guy (5'6"/155 lbs)... anything like a glock shows up like a brick sticking out of the side of my hip or small of my back. the P7 is great to carry if you get a holster that doesnt make it feel like its going to toss out on the pavement.

Last edited by trustkill676; 01-20-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more stuff i just thought of...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #107

I love the Hi Power, it's one of John Brownings better designs, though it wasn't finished by him and stated previously.

IF you end up getting one, take it to a gunsmith and have the magazine disconnect job done on it, it should cost about $50. That's the only "flaw" in the design that I would change....

Good reliable firepower, ammo available everywhere and it will go bang everytime. What more could you want? Oh yeah, it's not made of plastic.

JD

Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #108

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess I'll have to go through the entire rest of my life blissfully ignorant of not having a "wonder9" instead of my obsolete century old design (1911 .45) and hope I can do the job if ever needed.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I guess I'll have to go through the entire rest of my life blissfully ignorant of not having a "wonder9" instead of my obsolete century old design (1911 .45) and hope I can do the job if ever needed.
QFMFT!

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Now that wasn't the question was it?

And I still say strapping on a 1911 and traveling outside the borders, especially to the Third World, is advertising you are 1) An American and 2) A target of opportunity.

Inside the borders - a 9mm 1911 is the choice all day long.

Outside the borders - you need to re-examine your applications...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.