Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Old lugers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 952 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Default Old lugers

Ok I have been getting a flurry of contradicting information at gun shows on this gun . Problem is Im not sure what gun it is . My grandpa had an old .22 luger and
was quite possibly the biggest pos I ever heard of but it was the one he always had with him , and I remember it quite well . I have recently tried to track it down only to learn uncle had sold it to a co worker for a mere 20.00 and said coworker moved to Tn . Poof gone , never to be had again . I always see a few at the shows but they are in the higher calibers and range from 2k and up , when I ask them do they have any .22 they look at me funny and say they never had one in that caliber but they look identical . Here is a link to what Im talking about . Luger 1929 Swiss Bren Factory #'s Matching : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Erma LA 22 .22 caliber : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
This is what it most likely was. They were/are a pos. I would never give anywhere near the $225 this guy wants for his.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8325 Times on 3600 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

They are not that old, and are not related to the military luger except by general outline and brand name. By Stoeger, but it IS a Luger.

Guns For Sale - Pistols For Sale - stoeger luger 22lr 22 lr - Auction: 9488115 (Ended 12/15/2009, 10:23:16 PST)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

what is the main issues they have ? and i was thinking more of 100.00 for one maybe 150 but no more

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8325 Times on 3600 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Feeding. ejecting. Some Stoegers had aluminum frames.

As far as what you were thinking, let us know how that works out for you. Whatever the market brings is what they are priced at.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #6

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

I had a Stoeger Luger in the early 1970s. It was a POS and even after a trip back to the factory it remained a jamomatic. I think the Ermas were a little better and at least they looked more like a Luger even though Stoeger owned the rights to the name Luger.

I'd buy a Ruger .22LR semiauto for a Luger-like .22 that actually works.

ETA:
BTW, you can buy a real Luger of "shooter" quality in the $800 range. At that price you can expect a mismatched parts pistol that will function safely (but have it checked out before shooting it). My 1913 DWM falls in that category and I had it out to the range last month with no malfunctions.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-21-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #7

cant say i want it to shoot it but just for the fact grandpa had one , and since its gone for good ill take any and just pretend

Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #8

Honestly do you guys [I]Like[I] to shoot Lugers? A friend of our family had one, it's a curious piece of work...but it felt very "top-heavy" I appreciated them letting me fire it - I believe it was brought back from Germany during WWII by a veteran - I was greatful for the experience...but it was like listening to a record player...nice, but not something you chose over something more modern or useful.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8sigguy View Post
Honestly do you guys [I]Like[I] to shoot Lugers? A friend of our family had one, it's a curious piece of work...but it felt very "top-heavy" I appreciated them letting me fire it - I believe it was brought back from Germany during WWII by a veteran - I was greatful for the experience...but it was like listening to a record player...nice, but not something you chose over something more modern or useful.
Your opinion, and if you had more time with one your opinion likely would change. To me a Luger is not top heavy in any way, it's an extremely graceful and beautiful firearm. And reliable with ball ammo that it was designed for. Doesn't have to be "modern" to be fun to shoot and everyone over the last 35+ years who's fired my 1913 DWM loved it. Over that time and thousands of rounds only one part broke, a $5 axle pin, so they're pretty tough too. Not bad for almost 99 years old - and it will outlast me and hopefully be passed on many times in our family. (A shame you missed out on your Grandpa's Luger, MobileMarine.)

The normal comment from a first time Luger shooter is something like, "That was great!" or after a few magazines with no stoppages, "I thought these things jammed all the time." Anyway, they point well and are accurate even with the lousy sights of the era. No one is saying buy one over a more recent pistol for self defense but most of us own more than one gun and a Luger is a prized addition to any firearms collection.

ETA:
BTW, have you compared the audio quality between a high end sound system with a turntable vs. an iPod playing typical downloads?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.