Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Okay, so the .40 S&W is on my shopping list (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/okay-so-40-s-w-my-shopping-list-91703/)

danf_fl 06-03-2013 06:19 PM

Okay, so the .40 S&W is on my shopping list

I introduced a new person to shooting this weekend.

Before seeking my advice, the individual purchased a Sigma in .40.

At the range session, this person and I found that the Sigma that was pruchased was one of the least accurate firearms I have seen.

It was not only the heavy trigger pull, but it shot 6" to the right at 7 (yeah 7) yards. The rear sight was moved to the max position possible in a previous attempt from a prior owner to remedy the situation. Luckily the Sigma can be returned.

AND this not to say that Sigma's are bad guns, only this one.

The other hundguns that accompanied us allowed this new shooter to build confidence and hit the 10-ring are consistently.

So, this individual is looking for a .40S&W, poly frame handgun with a price between $350 and $400.

Any suggestions?

Sonic82 06-03-2013 06:23 PM

An SR40 have a good reputation and price

Sonic82 06-03-2013 06:25 PM

Weird...I can't edit Caps............TEST HELLO

....works now...strange.

rickster 06-03-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
I introduced a new person to shooting this weekend.

Before seeking my advice, the individual purchased a Sigma in .40.

At the range session, this person and I found that the Sigma that was pruchased was one of the least accurate firearms I have seen.

It was not only the heavy trigger pull, but it shot 6" to the right at 7 (yeah 7) yards. The rear sight was moved to the max position possible in a previous attempt from a prior owner to remedy the situation. Luckily the Sigma can be returned.

AND this not to say that Sigma's are bad guns, only this one.

The other hundguns that accompanied us allowed this new shooter to build confidence and hit the 10-ring are consistently.

So, this individual is looking for a .40S&W, poly frame handgun with a price between $350 and $400.

Any suggestions?

I think the lack of accuracy of the sigma is a long time problem. I personally owned a first generation sigma that made me believe I was a horrible shooter but after shooting other guns I realized it was the sigma and I sold it.

I've read post out there of some people who love them. In my case, it wasn't a bad gun, it never malfunctioned on me but it just wasn't accurate.

In the price range you've posted Taurus has several reliable models and so does tri-star.

Tackleberry1 06-03-2013 07:01 PM

There should be no shortage of mid size poly .40's on the used market. I know LOTS of folks who bought similar guns, did not like .40's recoil/muzzle flip, and swapped them out for 9 mm's or .45 ACP's.

Personally... I love my .40 but it's a SIG 226... plenty of gun to absorb that .40 snap. ;)

Tack

Fathead00 06-03-2013 07:16 PM

Like Tack said that there are PLENTY of .40s out there. I carry a G35 .40 cal and love it. I know I will be opening a can of worms, but have your friend take a look at a G22 or G23. My friend loves his G22. I have shot the G23 and me personally did not like it at all, but everybody is different.

BeyondTheBox 06-03-2013 08:25 PM

Is used an option?

Kahr CM40 can be had for not far from that price range.

Taurus PT740

Why not exchange it for a new Sigma and get a trigger job?

S&W 4006 used

Ruger SR40C used

But my number one choice would be a Stoeger Cougar!!!!

grandpabear 06-03-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1266499)
An SR40 have a good reputation and price

This SR40 has been flawless and eats any ammo I put through it and was accurate out of the box. In my opinion you could do a lot worse. This is obviously the stainless version but can be found all black. I paid $424.00 out the door.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...dfa1222864.jpg

nixfix 06-03-2013 10:20 PM

In that price range, I'd recommend your friend take a good look at the Smith SD40VE. MSRP is 350ish.

JW357 06-03-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixfix
In that price range, I'd recommend your friend take a good look at the Smith SD40VE. MSRP is 350ish.

I've never owned one but have heard great things.

I own a Taurus PT140 and its not a bad gun for its price. I had an issue with the sights coming off awhile ago, but I think my reloads were too hot. Throw some loctite on there and I'm sure it would be fine.