Oil and firearms - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Oil and firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
WD-40 as a lubricant? The WD stands for "water displacement" and this stuff is not designed to provide lubrication for moving parts. It may provide some protection for a gun externally, but IMHO WD-40 and guns don't mix...
Never had a problem in over 20+ years. "YMMV"

Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #12

I have been told by a Colt armorer that a good quality synthetic motor oil will do great on a Colt AR-M16. According to him it has a very high heat tolerance and will still work in cold weather. I suspect if it works on hi end motors then it would work on a gun. It also cost a lot less then gun oil. Just what I have been told.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #13

I have been told that wd-40 attracts dirt, so I wouldn't use it on any of my firearms. I have put too much oil and it shot out at me right on my shootin glasses when I fired! There is such a thing as too much.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I have been using Mobil One synthetic ever since reading about it on one of the several forums I follow. It is terrific even with guns supposedly to be finicky. It holds up to a 200 round shoot in my EMP, works great in the PPS and Kahr PM9, and all the other guns I have. I do not think I will ever try something else.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

WD-40 is NOT a good gun oil. It is fine if you get stuck in a rain storm with your rifle and need to protect it for a few hours until you can clean it properly.

Learn to properly strip and clean the AR. Just "squirting some oil in it" is definately NOT proper maintenance. This would be akin to simply draining one half of your Corvette's oil, leaving the old filter in place and pouring a couple of
quarts of oil under the hood hoping some would get into the engine.

Most firearms will tell you where they want oil. Shiny spots and areas where bluing or parkerizing is worn off are areas of metal to metal contact/wear. A drop of oil on each of these parts is a pretty good start.

Me? Castrol Syntec 5W30

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Glad to see I am not alone in my use of lubrication of my guns with synthetic motor oils. Amsoil synthetic 5w-30. Chit works! And various weights for use in my vehicles and cycles also.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

WD-40 is a good cleaning agent due to it's solvent content. As a water-displacant, it is lighter than water, so simple science blows that theory out of the water. It's main selling point is that it's a good-smelling petroleum product in a handy-dandy spray can. Quite frankly, it isn't worth a damn for any of the uses it claims to address. Let me re-phrase that: It is remarkably inferior to many other products available to the public, particularly in view of it's market share in the lubricants market. After 10 years of civilian life, I've been through dozens of cases of it, and it sucks. Silicone sprays actually leave a lubricant residue that rivals Teflon, which we used to use in the lubricators on the M61A1, but lost due to some perceived threat from outgassing during high temperature exposure. Motor oil on weapons parts is a great idea. The testing that goes into every quart of motor oil would make Morton-Thiokol look like a Mexican firecracker factory.
Keep all lubricants off wooden stocks, forestocks, and grips. Wood can't shed oil like it can water, and eventually the wood will swell and possibly split. My Dad used to oil the head end of his axe handles because they would never dry out and shrink, making sure that the heads stayed securely in place.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default WD-40 is good??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Never had a problem in over 20+ years. "YMMV"
WD-40 is good for a shooter that cleans their guns often. Mostly wipe on+wipe off. After wipe off place BreakFree CLP or RemOil on friction points and apply a light coat of car wax to the exterior blued surfaces. An old gunsmith-that was well worth his salt-told me years ago to NOT use WD-40 on any gun parts, and then let them sit up. The residue of the moisture displacement will gum up, and turn into a varnish, that is very difficult to remove. I received that advise from a man that has forgot more about gun maintenance/repairs than I will ever know.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
WD-40 is good for a shooter that cleans their guns often. Mostly wipe on+wipe off. After wipe off place BreakFree CLP or RemOil on friction points and apply a light coat of car wax to the exterior blued surfaces. An old gunsmith-that was well worth his salt-told me years ago to NOT use WD-40 on any gun parts, and then let them sit up. The residue of the moisture displacement will gum up, and turn into a varnish, that is very difficult to remove. I received that advise from a man that has forgot more about gun maintenance/repairs than I will ever know.
That's what I do. Wipe the wd-40 off, then add your desired oil.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Well, I started using the synthetic motor oils as gun lube- but now I get these post cards from Jiffy Lube, reminding me to bring my Remington 1100 in for service......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.