Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Oil and firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Oil and firearms

Well it may sound like a dumb question, but rather know than be ignorant.
Is oil on your gun good? The more oil the better? and whats the deal with storing it, wouldnt the oil deteriorate the gun faster? and then whats the difference with oil rather than grease? I just don't comprehend sorry.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Oil & steel are actually a pretty good mix. Heck, you could drop a gun in a bucket of oil and it wouldn't hurt it a bit (grips aside). While not really necessary on a stainless gun (they will rust), a wipe down with an oily rag is very good for blued & parked guns...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #3

The first thing that comes to mind after reading your question is the wood stocks if your firearm is a long gun.
The oil can and will soak into where the butt is connected to the reciever and in the area of the forearm under the barrel.
Otherwise the quanity of oil will not hurt the gun BUT wipe it off and dry the inside of the barrel before you go to shoot it.

When I was a kid folks around hear stored there guns with a coating of Vasilene.
We did'nt put it on the stocks, just the metal...Did'nt hurt them at tall.

A guns reciever needs to have a little oil to prevent wear and some gun manufactures such is Marlin is reccommending useing grease on a few places of some of there guns.

To much oil will collect burnt powder and trash in the recievers so go easy after cleaning.

I like useing Break Free w/CLP in the spray can and after useing I take a cloth and lay it on the floor next to a wall and leave the gun muzzle down on the towel a day or two to drain any excess oil.

Others here may have there way also... Hope I helped...A.H

Last edited by ArkansasHunter; 09-18-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #4

Recommend an oil? Best bang for the buck kinda deal? So would I just kinda open up the breach of my ar-15 and just squirt it like crazy. What is the proper way to apply it. And what is the deal the with silicone?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #5

Go to WalMart and buy a cleaning kit and a can of BreakFree w/CPL. OIL .
Follow the directions that come with the cleaning kit and if you have the manual to your AR-15 then you best be learning how to tear it down to clean.

If you ever go to replace the grip on your AR-15 please contact me becuase I don't want you to have happen to you what happened to me LOL.

And if you ever have a single point hitch put on it for a sling to attach to...if you are not sure have someone that knows how to do it, do it.

You'd be amazed at the little parts that can fall out of an AR-15 and become lost or you don't know where they go, so learn your manual or buy you one and learn it and how to clean it please....A.H

IN GOD WE TRUST

Old 09-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I recommend using the amount of oil the manufacturer says to. (The manuals are good for something). My M&P only calls for 5 strategically placed drops of oil to keep it running smoothly. Anymore than that and it would collect too much residue.

Silicone is usually for lubing metal to plastic contacts. Example: the POS Remington 710's rear bolt housing is lined with plastic. The only way the bolt is going to run smooth is with silicone lube. Oil will only make it stick like glue (thats why most people hate the 710).

Old 09-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7567 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Most metal-to-metal contact is eased by lubrication. Depending on what yer doing, may be a very light oil, a heavier oil, or grease.

Too much oil will damage WOOD over a period of time- and the linseed or tung oil used as a wood finish is NOT the same as a petroleum based lubricating oil.

a 1911A1 has about 6 points that should get a DROP of oil, and a couple of points that should be lubed with a light grease. The AR-15 style rifle- just a few points, and the AR gets a lube that looks like Crisco that is just melting (military calls it LSA) When in doubt, read the instructions.

Too much lube, it spatters, and makes dirt stick to the weapon. Too little, it may not cycle. When I was stationed in Alaska, we removed almost ALL lube from firearms for winter field duty (-65 air temps do funny things to oil)

For some firearms, I use a couple of drops of Remoil, some I use CLP collector. A LIGHT coat of oil on a steel weapon helps prevent rust- a couple of drops on a cotton cloth, wipe, put away.

One that I have a pet peeve with is WD-40. It is NOT a good lube (WD stands for Water Displacing) and tends to dry into a gummy headache.

You wouldn't drive your car with no oil in the engine, nor would you pour 5 gallons into your car, nor grease the seats and steering wheel.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Recommend an oil? Best bang for the buck kinda deal? So would I just kinda open up the breach of my ar-15 and just squirt it like crazy. What is the proper way to apply it. And what is the deal the with silicone?
Honestly if you own a AR 15 you should already know how to clean it. It's not an entry level firearm. If you own it and don't know how to clean it then that is a good thing.

I can't offer any advice,

where are the SM reading this thread fully?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 09-21-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

WD-40 and use sparingly. Pistols like oil, but not a whole lot. If you have iol seeping then you used too much.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
WD-40 and use sparingly. Pistols like oil, but not a whole lot. If you have iol seeping then you used too much.
WD-40 as a lubricant? The WD stands for "water displacement" and this stuff is not designed to provide lubrication for moving parts. It may provide some protection for a gun externally, but IMHO WD-40 and guns don't mix...