Oh, what to do... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Oh, what to do...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Or if you like real bling you can get Nickel Plated. SHINY, SHINY.
Rock Island Nickel Plated $449.99

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For a first handgun, especially one that's going to be used defensively, I'd rather practice with the same round I'm going to trust my life to. While the .22 conversion kit is definitely an option, practicing without the recoil of the .45 is nothing you can't achieve by dry-firing in your own living room. 9mm is a perfectly adequate defensive round, well-suited to inexperienced shooters, and relatively cheap, so it's where I tend for new shooters.

If you're not planning to carry concealed with this gun, you can't do better than another of the Prophet John's designs, the Browning Hi-Power. It's an all-steel 9mm, and the second most-naturally pointing gun I've had the opportunity to shoot. (First is, obviously, a neighbor's 1911. =P)

If you are, or think you might want to carry at some point, there are dozens of polymer-framed 9mms out there, and you're bound to like at least one of them. I regularly shoot my S&W M&P and my brother's Springfield XDm, and I have no problem recommending either, they're both sweet shooters. HK makes a solid product, but they're awfully expensive and I haven't yet been able to try one out. Glock is, IMO, the very bottom of my personal barrel. I didn't shoot the Glock until after I'd already bought my M&P, and it just didn't feel right in my hand at all. But if it fits you, go for it - just shop around a bit first.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Comon JD, don't let the facts interrupt the tellin' of the story.
*yawn*......

Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

45 is a huge jump for your first pistol but if that is what you have chosen the the 1911 frame is the way to go. It will fit the natural grip, Already expressed you can refit to shoot 22 ammo, it isn't a cheap conversion but will pay off if you plan to shoot a lot. IMHO far better than practicing with snap caps in your living room, might lack the recoil but eye on target and result will make you a better shooter.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.