Now that's a dirty extractor. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Now that's a dirty extractor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have found that 90% of al problems with .22's are fixed with a good deep cleaning.
Truer words were never spoken. The Sterling 302, however, falls into the 10% that won't always improve. The little gun evolved as a series of design flaws were noticed and "corrected" by the factory. One of them was the dimensions of the ejector port, which I've opened up on one of my 302s using the vertical mill, to allow the pistol to eject easier. Another problem was that the gun could discharge when dropped, which they addressed by installing a very heavy trigger spring and increasing the sear angle to the point of being ridiculous. NEVER CARRY THE 302 WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER. Thanks to this heavy spring and sear combination, the blowback is oftentimes not powerful enough to completely cycle the action, and the sear does not "latch" with the firing pin. The sear needs careful stoning and the springs need changing, in my opinion.

If you're willing to address some of these issues, you'll wind up with a marvelous little pistol at a bargain-basement price. If you try hard enough, it seems that you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101
A few years back I fired about 7,000 rounds through my 10/22 without cleaning. It was an experiment that I did. That thing was filthy! I had to clean that gun for a long time to get it 100% clean.
I want to know what happened with the experiment.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #13

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh

I want to know what happened with the experiment.
Well, the gun had a lot of troubles ejecting brass , because of so much gunk in the thing. The gun was mainly stove piping and just weakly ejecting. Also the bolt was very grimy and gritty, so that probably didn't help with extraction or ejection. When I took the gun apart, there was a pretty tangible, thick, crusty layer of carbon and crap lining the whole insides of the lower reciever/trigger group and the upper. Also the bolt was kind of blackened. I did notice a pretty thick and solid build up of residue right at the breech area, that required a lot of ballistol and a wire brush to remove. As might be expected, accuracy started to go down the drain, but the gun still shot reasonably. The biggest problems were pretty much just extraction/ejection and a very gritty bolt movement, not to mention the smell. I guess the moral of the story is, "a clean gun is a happy gun". It took quite a bit of labour to clean that thing.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
..removed my extractor.. full of crud.. difficulty..like a charm,.
Do you know if the parts from gun-parts.com site are new old-stock or are they used?
Aren't they nice when freshly cleaned and lubed.

As far as I know, and the ones that I received..... New Old-Stock.