not impressed. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > not impressed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

These kind of posts pop up in Glock forums from time to time. The typical, "The XD is a better pistol because"......... While there is certainly nothing "wrong" with the Springfield XD, a lot of these comparisons a quite short sighted to say the least. Especially if you take the time to examine the Glock on a more comprehensive basis. One thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. That's it. Even that is suspect now that Glock has introduced the SF frame model. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.

A few of the given "reasons" XDs are better I've read:

Price.
The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80 worth of gas in my truck this morning. Now, with the introduction of the XDM it has become even more expensive than the Glock.

Machining quality/manufacture.
I have seen XDs go out for warranty work, (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.

Durability.
Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the indoor range I shoot at they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals, (see previous reason problems), while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.

Ergonomics.
XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control. When the Austrian military trials were announced, Gaston Glock got the list of requirements for the new pistol. Then he compiled a list of consultants, including Medical Doctors, to advise in the design of his pistol entry. These consultants were all asked, from the perspective of their field of expertise, how they would design a handgun. From the Doctors, he needed the proper rake angle for the physiology of the human hand while holding a pistol. The Doctors set the angle, and GG designed the pistol according to the specs received from his consultants. The grip angle allows the pistol to point like the index finger for those who do not have any experience with shooting a handgun. For those who learned to shoot on just about anything else, it takes some getting used to.

Single action vs double action.
The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer. The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this. You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.

The slide lock.
The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.

Finish.
Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.

Warranty.
Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it. Especially when you find out Springfield wonít sell parts to the public.

Field stripping.
The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.

Loaded chamber indicator.
Glock has this as well.

Cocked indicator.
Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.

Grip safety.
How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.

Customization.
If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.

The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on over 25 years now, and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact anymore than the Smith & Wesson M&P will.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Welcome back Bill. Nice write up on Glock vs. XD, you hit every point I can think of. When comparing the polymer wonders I had to go with the Glock and the three I have are excellent handguns. Looks like we agree on Glocks and your signature. And if you remember, I did give a thumbs up on your new 308 DPMS, it's the smaller version that annoys me.

Zamzow, care to respond?
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #23

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Well its quite a bit of info. Kinda hard to argue with. Im just curious on where all that info came from. I'd like to read more about it. If u have any sites that I can read let me know. I'm always open to info

Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #24

If the glock is so much better however why has the xd been runner up for the past few years. They must be doing somthing right that the glock isn't.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #25

There is a guy on YouTube who breaks both glock and xd apart and shows as well as explaines the differance in the two. Both are exceptional guns. It all comes down to preferance. There are good and bad with both however.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #26

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

There is another reason I've never been a fan of the Springfield XD pistol. This is not meant as a slam to the firearm itself, or anyone who owns or prefers it, but rather an in depth look at how the pistol came about. The modern Springfield Armory XD pistol and it's derivatives, are all spin offs of the HS-2000 which was originally designed by Marko Vukovic and produced by I.M. Metals. The gun originally sold for $250.00 most everywhere, and no one wanted it. The gun was what it was, a cheaply made, imported semi auto that used a lot of MIM parts in it's manufacture, which was one of the main reasons they were able to keep it's cost down.

Then Springfield Armory came along and got involved, purchased the rights to manufacture it, jacked up the price $200.00+ dollars to help pay for the multi million dollar advertising blitz that ensued, tossed in $5 worth of cheap, molded plastic "Gear", and the Springfield XD was born. Sales took off, and the rest is history. It soon was heralded by shooters as the greatest thing to come along since Monday Night Football and 3 men in the booth. Springfield wanted a piece of the market Glock pretty much had the franchise on, and they didn't feel like trying to design a gun from scratch to do it. So they bought the rights to the HS-2000. Not a bad idea from a marketing standpoint if you think about it. It is far easier, and cheaper in the long run to buy advertising, than take on the risk of designing a new handgun, then turn around try to sell it and turn a profit.

The funny thing is Smith & Wesson had a chance to do exactly what Springfield did from I.M. Metals, but balked on the idea. Ever since then they've been breaking their backs to come up with their own design to compete. Thus far the Sigma with itís design issues, as well as the M&P with all of itís slide rusting issues, have proven to be more problematic than profitable.

When the Glock pistol came out in the early 80's, it was scoffed at for the most part. No one really took it seriously, and thought it would last about as long as Madonna. ("Like A Virgin" was at the top of the charts at the time). It did, just not the way most had envisioned. By the time the design took off every gun manufacturer in the country was scurrying to get something on the market to compete. Many of the guns back then were really bad designs that were problem plagued and didn't survive in the marketplace very long. The Springfield XD did, not because of it's design, but rather in spite of it. The Springfield XD pistol has proven how well mass marketing of a given product can work. If you think about it, all it lacked at the time was Billy Mays trying to sell it on a 1:00 AM Infomercial.

While over the years they have improved it somewhat, it is still based on the original Vukovic / I.M. Metals / HS-2000 design, much like most all 1911's made today are nothing more than copies of John M. Browning's design. The difference is Browning's design was based on gun making genius, rather than nothing more than a fancy ad campaign of a cheaply made gun. In this regard Marko Vukovic, while having designed a very profitable firearm, has a long way to go to catch Mr. Browning.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamzow View Post
There is a guy on YouTube who breaks both glock and xd apart and shows as well as explaines the differance in the two. Both are exceptional guns. It all comes down to preferance. There are good and bad with both however.
Hickok45? When I was looking at the Glock 27 I also looked at the XP and M&P but didn't think they compared well. His video illustrates why the G27 is better for CCW.

US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very good posts bill

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 406 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know, if you replace Glock, XD and M&P with Ford, Chevy and Dodge we could have the same argument.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Active & passive safeties were created because of Glock Ka Boom stories. Yes, you can drop the pistol all day long w/o incident but I suppose it's just human nature or military discipline to never let your weapon hit the ground. Many of the LEO accidental discharges were caused because the officer reached out to "catch" the weapon and grabbed, hit or somehow activated the trigger.

An active or passive safety would have prevented this.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-19-2012 at 10:57 PM.