Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Noob needing advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/noob-needing-advice-16011/)

RuggedRadios 07-22-2009 10:56 PM

Noob needing advice

Hey all! New to the site and to the gun community. I just went to the range a couple weeks ago with my buddy and man did i have a blast. I have shot his .22 before on his ranch but never been to the range to shoot a semi auto handgun. I think i got the bug bad. Anyways i need some guidance on a Noobs first semi auto handgun. I have found so much info but its hard to sift through it all (i have a couple ranges around me but not a big selection to rent from :()
Any help is great!

c3shooter 07-22-2009 11:27 PM

Well, this is where the "Tastes great- Less Filling" debate starts.

You can go just about any way you like. The standard answer is find a range that rents handguns, and try a few out to see what you like.

However, my advice would be to make your first auto a 22. And I would make that a Ruger or a Browning Buckmark. They are relatively inexpensive, well made accurate guns, and are cheap enough to feed that you WILL go shoot them. And the things that you learn with the 22 will carry over to the 9mm/ 40 cal/ 45 world.

If your interest is for self defense, you will need "enuff gun", and as much as I like my 22s, they are NOT "enuff gun" for defense. For that you need bigger.

orangello 07-22-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 132621)
However, my advice would be to make your first auto a 22. And I would make that a Ruger or a Browning Buckmark. They are relatively inexpensive, well made accurate guns, and are cheap enough to feed that you WILL go shoot them. And the things that you learn with the 22 will carry over to the 9mm/ 40 cal/ 45 world.

I have a XD45 that i love & love to shoot, but i will soon retrieve my 22 Ruger Mark ? knockoff from Dad for less expensive & more frequent target practice. It was a very satifying target gun & capped a few squirrels that weren't too high up.

spittinfire 07-23-2009 06:26 PM

My advice is go to a range where you can rent different weapons. Try as many as you can before making up your mind. Hold has many as you can. I also like the XD BUT, when I first picked it up, it felt at home in my hand. I know others who don't like the feel of it. Everyone is different. Find what fits you and what you are most comfortable with, this will lead you to practice more with the weapon and become more proficient with it.

What were you shooting while at the range?

RuggedRadios 07-23-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 133062)
What were you shooting while at the range?

my buddies glock 26 9mm. It seemed pretty straight forward and i like the power it had. Maybe too much though for my first gun. I plan to go to the range soon and try out more

orangello 07-23-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 133062)
My advice is go to a range where you can rent different weapons. Try as many as you can before making up your mind. Hold has many as you can. I also like the XD BUT, when I first picked it up, it felt at home in my hand.

Good advice on the range test driving, for sure.

I think one of the reasons i liked the way the XD felt was that the .22 target pistol of my youth was an AMT "lightning", a knockoff o f the ruger mark something. The angle of the grip seems very similar to me.

spittinfire 07-23-2009 08:12 PM

A question I didn't ask is, what do you want out of the pistol? target only? self defense? all around use? Take your time and make a wise decision, don't just run out and start drinking the Glock(or any) koolaid without educating yourself. If you're like me a $500 pistol is a considerable expense. Take your time, ask questions, try as many guns as you can get your hands on, then decide.

pioneer461 07-30-2009 11:39 PM

Ditto spittinfire

It matters a great deal what you want to do with the firearm. Plinking, target, or competition shooting, home defense, concealed carry self defense, or just one to have around to take out and shoot once in a while? Semi auto? Revolver? Lots to think about, huh?

My experience is in self defense, military and police. If you want a self / home defense pistol, I would recommend one of a service (military or police) caliber. Nothing smaller than a 9mm / .38 special. While there is no such thing as a guaranteed "one-shot-stop" magic bullet, the larger more powerful calibers with hollow point / expanding bullets tend to have better results.

I'd recommend you find yourself a good firearms instructor (ask around) and pay for a couple of hours of his / her time. Shoot a bunch of his different firearms and decide what works. I can tell you what I carry, but what I carry doesn't matter. Mine won't necessarily work for you.

Just try and remember, you get what you pay for. When it comes to defending your life, you don't want to rely on a cheap, weak pistol that works "most of the time." In a gun fight, your firearm will last for the rest of your life.

Once you have decided, enroll in a quality shooting school. Again, ask around. Forget everything you've seen in movies and on TV about guns and shooting. It's all wrong. Avoid going to your neighbor's second cousin who once worked as a corrections officer for a couple of years. Find an NRA certified instructor who knows tactics. Most any quality range can refer you to a good instructor in your area.

Carrying a self defense gun is more than marksmanship. Much, much more. It is important that you understand when, and perhaps more importantly, when NOT to shoot.

Once you've decided and buy your firearm of choice, practice, practice, practice. Join the NRA and then you can start working on your holster collection. :eek:

RuggedRadios 07-30-2009 11:55 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess what it comes down to now for me is to either get a 9mm or .40

I need to shoot both a little more to see which I'm the most accurate with. I know i want a full framed semi auto but just deciding which i want to invest my money in is hard. I am very indecisive... kinda my downfall

matt g 07-31-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuggedRadios (Post 132609)
Hey all! New to the site and to the gun community. I just went to the range a couple weeks ago with my buddy and man did i have a blast. I have shot his .22 before on his ranch but never been to the range to shoot a semi auto handgun. I think i got the bug bad. Anyways i need some guidance on a Noobs first semi auto handgun. I have found so much info but its hard to sift through it all (i have a couple ranges around me but not a big selection to rent from :()
Any help is great!

Nineteen eleven