Next Purchase Considerations and Input
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Next Purchase Considerations and Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Next Purchase Considerations and Input

Hey all, I'm about to get another baby soon. I have it narrowed to a Glock17, Glock 26, and XDm 9mm...

What I am looking for is a shootable gun primarily for range, I have ccw and carry a Glock 30 most times. I enjoy shooting 9mm the most and that's why I have narrowed to these 3. Also one of my req's is that it has a 15+ capacity. The only reason the 26 is on this list is because I thought maybe if the accuracy is decent I could use it as a pocket or back-up carry weapon also, but again primarily range. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Don't worry about ergonomics and such as I have fired all weapons and the angles fit me well. I have only owned Glocks and have heard such great things about the Xd's I'm considering it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

They are all good guns. Which one fits you the best? Personally, I don't care for the way Glocks feel, but I love my XDm.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Liked 113 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The best way to find out if you like the XDm or Glock platform more is to rent 1 at your local range. Since you already carry a Glock then perhaps you should think about that. You'll already be used to it. They're both good guns. Personally I wouldn't mind an XDm in .45 to try out.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Hey all, I'm about to get another baby soon. I have it narrowed to a Glock17, Glock 26, and XDm 9mm...

What I am looking for is a shootable gun primarily for range, I have ccw and carry a Glock 30 most times. I enjoy shooting 9mm the most and that's why I have narrowed to these 3. Also one of my req's is that it has a 15+ capacity. The only reason the 26 is on this list is because I thought maybe if the accuracy is decent I could use it as a pocket or back-up carry weapon also, but again primarily range. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Don't worry about ergonomics and such as I have fired all weapons and the angles fit me well. I have only owned Glocks and have heard such great things about the Xd's I'm considering it.
I would go XD all the way, I've tried really to like glocks, and rented them I prefer my xd although it is an XD 40 S&W, mine didn't have night sighs but i apply a little stuff from glow-on.com and here it is:
Next Purchase Considerations and Input - Semi-Auto Handguns
My is a little snappy but 40 calibers are snappy anyways as they carry more pressure than .45's

Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you should decide on another Glock, definitely consider the Model 19. I think it will fit your purpose well. Larger and more range friendly than the 26 and not as unwieldy as the 17.

The XD has an entirely different feeling to me and almost seems top heavy.

That said, the only one of your choices that I've owned was the G19. However, I handled them all many, many times when I worked at the gun shop. I was considering buying an XD9 SC at one point and handled one a bunch.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were me, the XD would win without a question. IMO, they are a much better weapon. Give them all a try and see which one you like best.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm with Don on the G19. I love my G26 but needed to do a grip reduction on it to feel that way.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Of the three you listed, I would choose the XDm for a range gun. I own Glocks, but I have shot XDs that belong to friends, and I like both. For a range gun, though, the match grade barrel and full-size frame would be nice. And the extra long grip is a plus for the extra capacity; and if you aren't going to carry it, you don't need to conceal that long grip.

If you decide you do prefer the feel of the Glock, have you considered a G17L or G34 (longer-barreled 9mm)? If you're going to be shooting targets, the longer barrel and sight radius would be a plus.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
ET1

Instead of the Glock 26 which is a 9mm gun you might want to consider a 27. It is a 40s&w that you can convert to 9mm by buying a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake conversion barrel. That way you will be able to shoot both out of the same gun. You can also buy a 357sig barrel for it and have the choice of all three rounds. The 9mm conversion requires 9mm mags as well as the barrel, but the 357sig uses the 40s&w mags so it's just a barrel purchase. Just a thought.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1525

I would suggest that you keep with the platform you are most familiar with.
Remember that you are not the only one in your house and if the Other Member is trained on one, then transition to another handgun of the same platform is no big deal.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)