Next gun, 9mm carbine or 5.7 semi auto? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Next gun, 9mm carbine or 5.7 semi auto?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Imthabullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
Default

That ps90 is awesome. A lil higher than I wanna spend though. Along with the pricey ammo afterwards. I looked at the M4A1. A nice weapon at a decent price also. So many choices!!

__________________
Imthabullet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wpirate14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
Default

The 9mm ammo is cheaper and widely available so I would go with that.

__________________
wpirate14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,472
Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Default

9mm carbine. It makes an excellent hd gun. Get the hi point and you have all kinds of $ for add ons and ammo

__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 53
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Yes but the reason high point pistols are cheap is because they r cheaply made. They r like a club and good thing because they jam and break so often that's what ure have to use it.for

__________________
dsheppard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,472
Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheppard
Yes but the reason high point pistols are cheap is because they r cheaply made. They r like a club and good thing because they jam and break so often that's what ure have to use it.for
Op was considering a carbine, not a pistol
__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 432
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthabullet View Post
I looked at the M4A1. A nice weapon at a decent price also. So many choices!!
Now you are talking. AR 15's are being proven as a good HD choice these days. I never considered it due to shooting though a couple of houses but have seen some testing and studies lately to the contrary and on some of the more technical forums than this one it is all the rage. Look into it , you will be surprised at the effectiveness and under penetration on hard surroundings....that being said it’s not my go to but it is in the mix now. Way more versatile than the pistol cal carbines for roughly the same money.
__________________
oli700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,472
Liked 2458 Times on 1594 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700

Now you are talking. AR 15's are being proven as a good HD choice these days. I never considered it due to shooting though a couple of houses but have seen some testing and studies lately to the contrary and on some of the more technical forums than this one it is all the rage. Look into it , you will be surprised at the effectiveness and under penetration on hard surroundings....that being said it’s not my go to but it is in the mix now. Way more versatile than the pistol cal carbines for roughly the same money.
Very good points, but after one shot inside in low light and you'll be temporarily deaf and blind. The deaf part might be mote permanent, too. That effect from a pistol caliber carbine is way less.
__________________

Feral cat waterboarder

primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,400
Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Look into the Kel-Tec Sub2000. Great little rifle, super light and compact, extremely quick target acquisition. And most take Glock mags, so you can run 17rd G17 mags or even the 30+ capacity G18 mags.

I chose the KelTec over the others (Marlin Camp, CX4, Hi-Point, etc) because its just so light and compact. And I liked the capacity potential. I've had zero problems with it and consider it a go-to HD option. The CX4 felt a bit bulkier to me and cost twice as much, though I'm sure it's a good gun. The Hi-Point is awkwardly weighted and extremely top-heavy, like everything they make. But it too is a decent gun.

The only downside about the Kel-Tec is that it's a blow-back operated gun that gets absolutely filthy after a few boxes of ammo. But you can't beat it for a quick, light, high capacity 9mm carbine at $400.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 432
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Very good points, but after one shot inside in low light and you'll be temporarily deaf and blind. The deaf part might be mote permanent, too. That effect from a pistol caliber carbine is way less.
I'll buy that, as far as muzzle flash, the sound part is low on my personal list in that situation but it might be a consideration for others.
__________________
oli700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 53
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Op was considering a carbine, not a pistol
Ok I misread the op post but I've known a few guys with those high point rifles and almost bought one myself and after the first couple of hundred rounds they started malfunctioning
__________________
dsheppard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
semi auto 20 ga need help SwampDonkey Gunsmithing Forum 8 02-04-2013 11:42 AM
What should I look for in a semi-auto Stuflames General Shotgun Discussion 24 12-07-2010 05:08 AM
.22 Cal. semi-auto Guns-N-Ammo Semi-Auto Handguns 11 11-17-2010 04:46 PM
410 semi auto vs 9mm carbine Pjj342 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 1 10-26-2010 09:08 AM
Semi-Auto for under $300 MrRogers Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 7 08-21-2007 03:33 AM