Newbie Question = How should a hand grip a gun?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Newbie Question = How should a hand grip a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Question = How should a hand grip a gun?

I was at a local gun shop earlier today and put a few different guns in my hand. Quite a few felt nice, but I am not sure I was holding them correctly -- it may be hard to describe (if anyone knows about a youtube clip, that would be great) -- but how is a hand placed on a gun? Does the back of the grip fit directly into the web of a hand (Between finger and thumb)? Or is the thumb wrapped more around the side just a bit?
Also...on the guns I was holding, I noticed I couldnt drop the mag with the grip I used -- either I had to adjust my hand slightly to press it (with the right hand -- which was holding the gun)...or I could reach the button but had no strength and still had to adjust it just a tiny bit so i can press down with the thumb. -- is that normal? Or do I need a smaller gun grip? Ive got a M/L hand (for any golfers out there...i wear a M/L golf glove)....which is about average and id assume that most guns would fit a hand like mine -- not too big of a paw, rather slim and longer fingers --- but maybe that isnt the case with the guns i tested (Beretta M9, Sig P220, Glock 17 and XDM-9) or maybe I was holding the guns correctly and, as long as i wont be in a competition, there isn't a need to reach the mag release without adjusting the hand.

Sorry this is such a long story, but i did my best to explain everything i could think of -- if anyone has more questions, please ask .... any any clarification/help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

try this

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's plenty of instructional videos on u tube and the web...There are different grips and stances for shooting 1 hand standing side ways , target , combat etc. Just type in key work proper grip for holding a handgun...Revolvers and autos will vary some...

Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I like the isosceles stance, feet, hips, and chest much more square to the target than the weaver stance, both arms almost fully extended with just a small amount of flex in the elbows.

I like to wrap my hand further around the grip than some people like to do, where I can get the bulk of my hand behind the gun, as a gun rag writer said, I like to "drive the gun".

As far as reaching the mag release, training, training, training. I've seen some people hit the release with their support thumb, one downside is that many competition shooters like to already be reaching for another mag while the empty is being dropped.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are as many different ways to grip a gun as there are makes of guns. What works for one person, won't work for another. Too many factors...type of gun, shape of the grips, size and shape of the hand. My son and I hold a gun completely different. If I hold it the way he does I can't hit squat.

But there are definitely some don'ts that you should watch out for. Make sure you don't grip the gun so that you hit things when the gun recoils. I worked with a guy who's gun locked open with every shot. He thought it was the gun. Turned out he was resting the thumb of his left hand under the slide stop lever. When the gun recoiled, he unconsciously pushed up the slide lock, locking the slide back. And keep all hand parts away from the slide. I've seen more than one person who was injured, a couple seriously, by putting things in the way of the slide.

Other than that, just try different grips until you find what works for you.

Oh, and if I grip my gun the way the video above demonstrates, not only can I not hit anything, but its uncomfortable as hell.

Last edited by Paladin201; 01-04-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

So, am I to understand that being able to drop the mag with the dominant hand's thumb (without moving the placement of that hand at all) is NOT a requirement to determine if a gun fits in the hand correctly?!?

Thank you for all the help!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very few guns place the mag release where your thumb can reach it without shifting your grip at least a little. Frankly, I wouldn't want it to. If it's directly under your thumb, too much chance that you'll hit it while shooting and drop your magazine when you didn't want to, possibly at the worst possible moment.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

^^^ what he said.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

A hand should grip a gun firmly enough to scold a 4 year old child without being charged w/ child abuse and gently enough to not cause fatigue.
I never gave too much thought to my grip, I just pick up pistols and seat them comfortably in my hand. Time at the range is where you learn to modify you're grip and trigger finger as needed.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual..."

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Very few guns place the mag release where your thumb can reach it without shifting your grip at least a little. Frankly, I wouldn't want it to. If it's directly under your thumb, too much chance that you'll hit it while shooting and drop your magazine when you didn't want to, possibly at the worst possible moment.
That's exactly what happens to me with my PF-9. I have to hold it with my strong hand thumb tucked downward, otherwise it rests right on top of the mag release. I haven't shot it enough to get used to that hold.