Newbie needs helps selecting 2nd firearm!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Newbie needs helps selecting 2nd firearm!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie needs helps selecting 2nd firearm!!

First let me say that this forum is awesome!! I researched for a couple months, primarily here, before purchasing my first pistol and think I made a very good choice. I got the Kimber Eclipse Pro ll .45 and love it so far!

Now I'm getting ready to make another purchase and would like some input.

I want to get a compact 9mm primarily for ccw. I'm open to any and all suggestions but have narrowed my choices down to the cz75, h&k usp, and the glock 19 so far. I also really like the browning hi-power but price and size are the deterants for me unless convinced otherwise.

Again, thanks for all the prior help and I look forward to hearing your opinions on the 9mm's.

-Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well. First off, Welcome out of the Shadows and into the FTF Community. The guys and gals usually like new members to stop by the Introduction section and introduce themselves. I will leave that decision up to you.

As for your short list, you have done EXTREMELY well in your research. Both the CZ-75 and the HK USP are excellent weapons. I had a USP Tactical USP for a couple of years and it's a very well made piece of kit. The CZ-75 is one hell of a well engineered weapon and having shot them, I can say without a doubt that I would have no problem recommending them to family or friends.

The Glock? Eh, not for me, but they go bang every time you pull the trigger, which is important in a carry piece.

Have you shot any of these choices yet? I would encourage you to do so before you slap down any hard earned cash because they ALL have different grip angles, different safeties and different designs. You really need to see what fits YOUR hand the best.

As you are already a 1911 owner, I would strongly suggest the CZ be shot LAST. It's the closest to what you have now, so don't taint your new buying experience with testing it first. You need to try the other two first.

Trust me on this. Find a good range that rents guns and spend some money for a range day.

Once you shoot all three, the decision will provide itself.

JD

Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response JD! I'll head right over to the Introduction section and introduce myself!

I have not shot any of these weapons. I have however held the HK and the Glock for a considerable amount of time. Honestly, I was totally against the Glock before holding it, but it fit nicely in my hand and from what I've read they are very reliable firearms. It is definitely last on my list, but the price point is definitely attractive.

The Compact HK USP was a beautiful pistol and it really felt great in my hand!! And I'm probably leaning towards it until I shoot them all.

The range will definitely be my next stop, as well as this board to see any other responses.

Thanks again!

-Joe

Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've carried my CZ 75 Compact in 9mm for quite awhile

It's heavier than a fiberglass gun.

But it's great to shoot.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #5

ruger sr9c glock 26

Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I am in love with Don's CZ 75 Compact.

I've never owned an H&K. I have owned a full size CZ 75B and a Glock 19. In my mind there's no comparison between the two. It's the CZ all the way.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 AM   #7

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I am in love with Don's CZ 75 Compact.
Was feeling the same...that's a sweet looking gun. Have you seen the Beretta 92 compact?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911newbie View Post
First let me say that this forum is awesome!! I researched for a couple months, primarily here, before purchasing my first pistol and think I made a very good choice. I got the Kimber Eclipse Pro ll .45 and love it so far!

Now I'm getting ready to make another purchase and would like some input.

I want to get a compact 9mm primarily for ccw. I'm open to any and all suggestions but have narrowed my choices down to the cz75, h&k usp, and the glock 19 so far. I also really like the browning hi-power but price and size are the deterants for me unless convinced otherwise.

Again, thanks for all the prior help and I look forward to hearing your opinions on the 9mm's.

-Joe
Your narrowed down choices are all nice choices. For the HK, make sure you hold the new P30 too.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #9

Default CCW 9mm

I have heard good things about the Bersa, and Kel-Tec. That said, I don't own either, the advantage of the Bersa is you can get that and the Firestorm (Bersa) 22. Being really similar, you can practice ALOT with 22lr cheaper.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own all three guns, and all three have their benefits. The glock doesn't exactly feel great to shoot, but I am not afraid to sweat on it or get in water with it or drop it in the mud. The CZ is a great shooting gun and quite accurate. Not to mention the fact that the thing is built like a tank. I have put MANY rounds through my cz 75 that had terrible case failure and the gun just kept going without a hiccup. The HK Is a nice balance of the two if you ask me. It shoots nicely and you don't have to be too concerned with harming it.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.