Newbie help please - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Newbie help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCraig
I have been carrying a handgun daily for more than 25 years and spent much of that time in law enforcement.

I know that there are many fans of the Glocks, but they are not great guns for people that don't have prior handgun experience. Glocks do not have a safety that will prevent the gun from firing if the trigger is touched. The trigger pull can be too light for many people and even officers have shot themselves in the ass and foot grabbing and putting back their weapon. Below is a link of a DEA officer that shoots himself in a classroom full of children.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

For those new to handguns, I recommend a revolver or a double action semi-auto. Time and time again I have seen persons injured and their excuse is always the same "the gun went off before I was ready" or "I didn't mean to pull the trigger." The trigger pull is too light and people underestimate what it takes to fire the weapn and the bullets end up in the craziest places...

Stopping power is based most importantly on your ability to hit a target accurately - PERIOD. If you can't hit, you can't stop. If you are accurate with every bullet fired, then there are some other variables such as summer or winter clothing on the badguy. is he in a tank top or wearing 4 inches of insulated parka... In all honestly, a 9mm is a great round and still carried by thousands of police officers today. The same with the .40 and the .45 and even, the .38 spl. Find a gun that fits your hand, isn't too big to carry or too small to get 3-4 fingers on and practice. 9mm ammo is reasonable and not crazy expensive, remember you should go to the range regularly otherwise you won't be able to maintain your skill at being accurate. So don't buy something that you can't afford the ammo for.

A Sig or S&W in 9mm is a fine gun and will provide you a weapon perfect for protecting yourself at home or with a CHL.

- Craig
Ive seen that video before, that guy is a true dumbass! He racks the slide ejecting a round " with the mag still in" then takes the mag out and calls it unloaded. I Caught that before i knew that he was gonna shoot himself. I will keep my opinions about the FEDS to myself... True dumbass....

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis