Newbie help please - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Newbie help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

For concealed carry or home defense, don't be concerned about choosing the "best" of any major caliber. Be more concerned with finding the handgun that's feels best to you and fits your intended purpose. If CC is primary, then look for something light and concealable. If it will primarily be a home defense gun, then size and weight are not a big factor. My primary HD gun is a Springfield XDm 40, but it's too big and heavy for CC. My current CC guns are a small S&W 380 and a Ruger SP101 .357. Both are effective pocket guns.

However, one thing that pretty much everyone on here will agree on is everyone needs a .22. A .22 is very inexpensive to feed, which allows you to shoot more often, helping you to get the fundamentals down, and they're a heck of a lot fun. If you're fist handgun isn't a .22, then your second should be.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-12-2011, 02:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
As the man said- get thee to a range. Try a .357 snubbie. Remember that an anti-tank gun may look nice, but if you left it on the dresser due to size, weight, it is useless.

Differences in opinions are why we have horse races, and dozens and dozens of different handguns.
I don't necessarilly agree with this, because if you don't have a lot of handgun experience. I would not just throw some 120+ grain .357s, in a snub nose, because It's not very fun to shoot in the first place, ESPECIALLY if ur an inexperienced shooter. I love the .357 as much as anyone, but please work your way up to it.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 AM   #23

A good friend has a 38 snubbie and I offered to buy it from her until I realized what I really want is a 357 snubbie with the ability to shoot 38, 38+p, and 357, just like my GP100. A newbie to shooting 2 years ago, my 357 revolver was a decision I am 100% happy with. Mine is too large for carry but I live in CA so getting a CCW will be a miracle. I just want for another hidden spot in my home, and because it's fun to shoot.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

There are some gun-related publications on the magazine rack in many grocery stores, including Combat Handguns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, etc., that have reviews of various handguns. You may get some benefit from reading some of the articles in them. Be careful to sort out the honest reviews from the "reviews" that are simply paid advertising under the guise of a review.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #25

Rent guns try both metal frame and polymer I personally stay away from 40 its way too snappy I own nine and 45 both shoot better than 40 imo but like I said shoot as many DIFFERENT guns as you can hammer fire and strike fire good luck

Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1278 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

For a concealed carry gun, the height, or the length of the grip is more critical for concealment than is the barrel length. The barrel can be covered by using an inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster. But the grip is what will make a bulge in your shirt if it is too long. There are several makes of semiautos with double-stacked magazines/frames that are short but still hold lotsa shots. Also, a semiauto of a particular barrel length is generally shorter in overall length than a revolver with the same length barrel.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #27
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
I don't necessarilly agree with this, because if you don't have a lot of handgun experience. I would not just throw some 120+ grain .357s, in a snub nose, because It's not very fun to shoot in the first place, ESPECIALLY if ur an inexperienced shooter. I love the .357 as much as anyone, but please work your way up to it.
I don't regularly shoot full house loads in my 357. However, it is the most versatile revolver chambering and have no problem recommending it as a first revolver.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #28

Default Good carry gun

I like my sig sauer 250,ii can change the set up to a concealed carry weapon,for keeping it on my person,i can change it to a full sized weapon then to a med sized weapon caliber changes also from 9 mm tpo 38,to .40 and a .45 ,it can be changed to your need annd the size of any persons hand its a brand new concept called a compartimentalized gun trigger group comes out all in one drops in a smaller ccw and if you want to change the calliber change the slide and barrel its highly accurate with a lot of options,depending on what you need out of it,in expensive also mine brand new $374.00so if i want to chance it to say a .38 i but a slide barrel and if i dont like the grips trade them also,that gun can morph in to 4 different sizes and callibers in minutes,now thats a poretty dorn good gun from Sig Sauer,there Retailing for over $700.00,but if you look you can find them cheaper,half that price and buy your acessories as you go sig saer p-250

Old 10-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

I don't regularly shoot full house loads in my 357. However, it is the most versatile revolver chambering and have no problem recommending it as a first revolver.
I understand, I was just saying don't start on the .357. Maybe get used to the gun in .38 special first.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #30

I have been carrying a handgun daily for more than 25 years and spent much of that time in law enforcement.

I know that there are many fans of the Glocks, but they are not great guns for people that don't have prior handgun experience. Glocks do not have a safety that will prevent the gun from firing if the trigger is touched. The trigger pull can be too light for many people and even officers have shot themselves in the ass and foot grabbing and putting back their weapon. Below is a link of a DEA officer that shoots himself in a classroom full of children.

For those new to handguns, I recommend a revolver or a double action semi-auto. Time and time again I have seen persons injured and their excuse is always the same "the gun went off before I was ready" or "I didn't mean to pull the trigger." The trigger pull is too light and people underestimate what it takes to fire the weapn and the bullets end up in the craziest places...

Stopping power is based most importantly on your ability to hit a target accurately - PERIOD. If you can't hit, you can't stop. If you are accurate with every bullet fired, then there are some other variables such as summer or winter clothing on the badguy. is he in a tank top or wearing 4 inches of insulated parka... In all honestly, a 9mm is a great round and still carried by thousands of police officers today. The same with the .40 and the .45 and even, the .38 spl. Find a gun that fits your hand, isn't too big to carry or too small to get 3-4 fingers on and practice. 9mm ammo is reasonable and not crazy expensive, remember you should go to the range regularly otherwise you won't be able to maintain your skill at being accurate. So don't buy something that you can't afford the ammo for.

A Sig or S&W in 9mm is a fine gun and will provide you a weapon perfect for protecting yourself at home or with a CHL.

- Craig