Newbie help please - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Newbie help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlls300 View Post
I know everyone probably has opinions, but I would really like to know a few great all around conceal carry firearms.
Having only 1 firearm for concealed carry is like having 1 pair of shoes for everything.

Quote:
Have been looking at Beretta's, Glocks, Sigs, to name a few. I think I want something like a .40 as I have heard it has alittle more stopping power than a 9 mm....
Good choices, but, an old man told me one time "I'd rather be missed by a .45ACP, than hit with a .22." In other words, how you can handle and control a handgun could be more important than the caliber. (And I've seen some of guys who cannot handle the recoil of anything larger than .380)
If you cannot hit with it, then it is of no use to you.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

IMO, I would suggest a reputable manufacturer like Glock, Sig, SA, Colt, etc.... Get a gun that feels good in your hands and choose a caliber that has stopping power that you can also handle comfortably.

I'm 6' 190 lbs and I like 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP for CCW. I carry a Glock 23 majority of the time and on occasions I carry my Sig 229 or 220 carry. The Sigs are more accurate, but they take the weather like Glocks.

I like the Glock because it is reasonably priced and gives you reliability and accuracy, but a lot of people don't like the Glocks loom or feel in the hand. IMO Glock is a gun that will weather any storm, got to combat, the range, or the worse part of any metropolis and smile in the face of danger.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kahr CW series... 9, .40, .45... Light, thin, reliable, soft-shooting single-stacks... Easy to CC and nice at the range too if you don't need high-cap.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #15

Followed everyone's advice and found a local gun store that had an indoor range. I rented the xdm, and the m&p, both in 9 mm. Really liked both guns. Something about the xdm seemed to fit me better. I got slightly better groupings with the xdm and I think that mostly had to do with the grip feeling better. Plan on returning and renting a sig and HK to see how that goes. The store had a nice selection but I didn't like it when the guy told me that it was $7.50 to rent a gun and I could try as many as I wanted for that price as long as I was buying ammo. So, I bought ammo and used their glasses and ear protection and came back out later to find out that I was charged for using their ear and eye protection, as well as charged another 7.50 for the second gun. I understand that this is a business and they have to make money but after 65 bucks I was a little frustrated and felt like I had been taken for a bit of a ride. I may be way off here and am very new to this arena, so don't rip me too hard if I am way off base.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #16

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

I'd feel like I was taken for a ride too for renting $65.

Since you were trying out 9mm and you mentioned you were interested in conceal carry, then I'd recommend the LC9 that'll fit in your pocket.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #17

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

It does sound like they took you for a ride. Some indoor ranges are better than others, Impact Guns out here isn't too bad. If you bought a new gun there, they used to apply gun rental fees toward its price and I assume they still do that. Also, I bought a Glock 23 there earlier this year and got a 30-day range pass that you could use as many times as you wanted. I haven't borrowed hearing/eye protection from them in years but at one time they didn't charge for it, don't know about today.

I definitely would try a Glock 19 or 23 if you're still curious about 40S&W. I'm glad I went with the latter but will agree proper 9mm SD loads will do the job.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree that trying out different handguns is the way to go. a handgun is more personal than a rifle or shotgun. what fits or one shooter likes might not be the best gun for you. if you find one you really like, lots of times they also make that model in several calibers. if you really like the XDm in 9mm, you might like it in 40 or 45 better. i just bought the XDm40, can't wait to try it out! good luck in finding something that suits you.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Followed everyone's advice and found a local gun store that had an indoor range. I rented the xdm, and the m&p, both in 9 mm. Really liked both guns. Something about the xdm seemed to fit me better. I got slightly better groupings with the xdm and I think that mostly had to do with the grip feeling better. Plan on returning and renting a sig and HK to see how that goes. The store had a nice selection but I didn't like it when the guy told me that it was $7.50 to rent a gun and I could try as many as I wanted for that price as long as I was buying ammo. So, I bought ammo and used their glasses and ear protection and came back out later to find out that I was charged for using their ear and eye protection, as well as charged another 7.50 for the second gun. I understand that this is a business and they have to make money but after 65 bucks I was a little frustrated and felt like I had been taken for a bit of a ride. I may be way off here and am very new to this arena, so don't rip me too hard if I am way off base.
$7.50 per gun is not that bad a deal. They have to eat too but they should have explained how they charge you better.

If concealed carry is in the mix you might want to throw Kahrs and the Walther PPS into the mix. 9mm would be my preference for a newer shooter because of cost of practice ammo and also recoil and you are as well protected with a good 9mm as with anything else. Become a good shooter and the caliber of the handgun (within reason) will be a non factor.

As far as size of the shooter my wife is 5'2" and she packs a Kimber UltraCarry in .45. It's all in the training and what you like.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

$65 does seem a little bit much, though $7.50 rental per gun is less than I've paid. That leaves $50 for ammo & eye/ear protection. How much and what kind of ammo did you use? All you need for testing is the cheapest ball ammo they'll let you use in their guns. Save the expensive stuff for after you buy!
I agree with others who have suggested Glock, SIG & Kahr. You don't have to shoot 'em all, just check how they fit your hand (and the price) & shoot your top picks. Also keep in mind that the best carry gun may not be your first pick for home protection. Let your budget guide you here.