Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Newbie help please (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/newbie-help-please-48480/)

mlls300 09-19-2011 02:36 AM

Newbie help please

Really new to the handgun world. Have hunted most of my life but never grew up in a house with a handgun. Would like to purchase a handgun for home protection and looking into possible concealed carry. I know everyone probably has opinions, but I would really like to know a few great all around conceal carry firearms. Have been looking at Beretta's, Glocks, Sigs, to name a few. I think I want something like a .40 as I have heard it has alittle more stopping power than a 9 mm, but like I said I am new to this. I would really appreciate any thoughts or opinions as to a great carry gun that I can use for personal protection. Thanks so much in advance.

trip286 09-19-2011 02:51 AM

you opened up the floodgates... standby. I've just recently had Bersa suggested to me, after asking about the Walther PPK. But your about to get swamped.

MrWray 09-19-2011 02:57 AM

U r definately looking at some good guns so far, but certainly dont discredit the 9mm. The 9mm makes a great concealment gun,they r very pleasant "and cheaper" to shoot and they DO have enuf power to do their job. I can sit here and give u numerous handgun models tht i prefer but in the end its wat u like the best. I have a Glock 31 .357sig tht i also carried for many years as a deputy sheriff and i have a 1911A1 .45acp tht i bought a couple of months ago tht i now carry everyday. If ur able to go to a range where u can handle and shoot different models, thts a good way to make a quick decision of wat u want

mlls300 09-19-2011 03:12 AM

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Hope I get a lot haha. I don't know that I would feel comfortable carrying a .45 because I'm 5'9'' and 170. Cost is a bit of an issue. I don't want to spend $1000. I am looking more at getting a semi although I have never even shot a revolver and am not opposed to it. I definitely need to get out to a range and shoot some different options.

c3shooter 09-19-2011 03:37 AM

As the man said- get thee to a range. Try a .357 snubbie. Remember that an anti-tank gun may look nice, but if you left it on the dresser due to size, weight, it is useless.

Differences in opinions are why we have horse races, and dozens and dozens of different handguns.

mlls300 09-19-2011 04:55 AM

Is there a caliber that is more accurate than others? I think I read on the sig website that the 9 mm caliber is accurate out further than the .40 round. Could be wrong and remember I am completely ignorant about handguns haha. thanks

TekGreg 09-19-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlls300 (Post 582607)
Thanks so much for the quick replies. Hope I get a lot haha. I don't know that I would feel comfortable carrying a .45 because I'm 5'9'' and 170. Cost is a bit of an issue. I don't want to spend $1000. I am looking more at getting a semi although I have never even shot a revolver and am not opposed to it. I definitely need to get out to a range and shoot some different options.

Shooting many rentals and borrowed guns is your best idea! Remember that the reload ammo at most ranges is a reduced recoil round to save their backstops and is not indicative of the power or recoil of full defense rounds. If the range allows it, borrow or buy a few full pressure (+P or +P+) rounds to get the full effect of the recoil and accuracy before you purchase the gun. ;)

I can give you my opinion, but here are what the FBI and a 20-year police instructor with over 75 certifications has to say. I think you'll lose a lot of confusion if you take the time to read these two articles. :cool:

TekGreg 09-19-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 582623)
As the man said- get thee to a range. Try a .357 snubbie. Remember that an anti-tank gun may look nice, but if you left it on the dresser due to size, weight, it is useless.

Differences in opinions are why we have horse races, and dozens and dozens of different handguns.

100% agree! Dresser guns don't save lives.

Oh, and the .357Sig is the equivalent round if you want semi-auto instead of revolver. The performance is almost exactly the same, according to FBI statistics. :D

MrWray 09-19-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlls300
Is there a caliber that is more accurate than others? I think I read on the sig website that the 9 mm caliber is accurate out further than the .40 round. Could be wrong and remember I am completely ignorant about handguns haha. thanks

Any gun will b as accurate as u are, proficency is key. As far as which caliber shoots farther? If ur just plinking around its sometimes fun to see how far u can shoot accurately but in reality most gunfights or confrontations are within 25 feet. So dont put to much thought into picking a caliber tht shoots farther distances than another,thts wat rifles r for 

danf_fl 09-19-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlls300 (Post 582644)

The 40 is presumed to be less accurate. The firearm is a large part of the accuracy, but the shooter has a large part, too.

In handguns, the difference is miniscule.

I have a 9mm that will group 5" @ 15 yards, a .40S&W that will group 2", another 9mm that will group 1.5", and another .40S&W that groups about 2.5".

In my personal firearms, that means the 9mm is generally less accurate overall.