New vs older Sig 220 question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New vs older Sig 220 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default New vs older Sig 220 question

I am brand new to this website, and this is my first post. I have had firearms for over 50 years, and have quite a bit of general knowledge, but here is one thing that I am curious about. I have a chance to pick up a very nice, older Sig 220 in .45 caliber. I have been told that the older 220's have some sort of sheetmetal slide construction, and aren't as good as the newer ones with more modern slides. Is there any truth to this assertion? Thanks, in advance, for any facts or opinions you might have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The older guns did have stamped slides, but that wouldn't keep from purchasing an older Sig-Sauer pistol for a good price. They make quality firearms, and just because production methods of changed/improved doesn't mean the older guns are not quality pieces.

To help alleviate any concern, you might request to have the gun inspected by an experienced gunsmith who can check the gun for problems.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Bighead,
Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I am a Sig armorer so I have a bit of experience with the P-220. While I do not own any Sig pistols, I feel the older P-220's are excellent pistols. The slide is actually 3 piece. The main body, the breech block (pinned in) and the nose piece (welded in). I have never seen a Sig slide fail, ever.

The newer slides are made in the USA on modern CNC machines.

I would not hesitate to buy an "older" Sig. You might be able to talk the owner down as it is "old".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have had a Sig P220 for over 12 yrs now and love it. I have done alot of research in to the newer Sig Pistols and have heard alot of different horror stories about them. But you can not go wrong with an older model Sig. It will not let you down.