Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Taurus PT145 Owner Needs Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
vwg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Taurus PT145 Owner Needs Advice

I recently purchased a used PT145 and on the initial time I shot it I experienced at least 12 or more failures in the 139 rounds fired. Almost all where failures to feed that had not even started to move the round forward, the slide was in the rearward position. On a few of the failures the slide closed all the way on an empty chamber with rounds still in the mag. The salesman who is also an armorer roughly guessed from the wear on the internal parts that the gun had been fired between 150-200 times before I shot it.
I called Taurus and they said I could either send them the gun and mags or just the mags and they will exchange the mags for me.
Also the salesman/armorer said he could test shoot it for me and try to determine and fix the problem for free.
Should I;
1.Send gun and mags to Taurus?
2.Send only the mags to Taurus?
3.Let the salesman/armorer try and fix it?
4.Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2293 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

I would send the complete package.

Or I would sell the complete package and get a SA 1911.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I saw your thread on TaurusArmed.net and I'd like to repost my reply here. I suggest you send the gun and the mags back to Taurus if they cover the shipping cost. You can also ask the gun shop to send them to Taurus for you.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2293 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

+1^^
Send a part here, a part of the package later will not give them all the info they need to fix the problem.

Send the package one time and be done with it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I suggest doing all the above suggested. While the gun is gone for repair, look around for another one, and preferably not another Taurus.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Default Failure to feed

Good luck dude. Either Taurus can't fix this or doesn't care to. I have same problem and have gotten NO satisfaction. Mine will go bye bye at next gun show. My advice, do not count on it, or Taurus and get rid of it. This has been going on with this gun for years and Taurus either can't or is uninterested in a fix.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts

Also the salesman/armorer said he could test shoot it for me and try to determine and fix the problem for free.

He had his chance when he sold it to you.

Send it back to the manufacturer or find someone local with better knowledge.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Taurus PT145

Early model PT145 magazines had serious problems feeding correctly. I had a few of these and contacted Taurus. I mentioned to them I was aware they had a life time warranty on their pistols, but did they also cover defective magazines? They said yes, and after they received my old ones they sent me the new version, one for one. No problems since. Always start out at the simplest fix and work your way up. I have two PT 145's and they are fun. Good Luck.