new sights on a Browning Hi-Power ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > new sights on a Browning Hi-Power ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default new sights on a Browning Hi-Power ?

I recently picked up a WW2 nazi marked Hi-Power that has been re-blued and now has most of the markings polished off and also all the sharp edges are now smooth and rounded. I love this gun and use it or my carry gun. I hate the military sights and want to know if you guys know if it could be changed over to something more visible like Tru-Glo or some other Hi-Viz sights. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had these guys do one for me: Welcome to Novak's

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I assume your Browning has the small (like 1/4") dovetail rear sight and the little 1/8" or less bump front sight. You have several options. Most any gunsmith or machinist or you can open the dovetail up to standard 3/8". Then you have many choices for rear sights. But it would have to be very low if you use the original front sight. You or a gunsmith/machinist could drill shallow holes in your current rear sight and use that glow paint that advertises on this web site. Or drill small thru holes and install fiber optic material in your rear sight. But none of these options will help much unless you change the front sight and thats a gunsmith (or very handy handyman) job. That means a higher front sight that could snag on a carry gun. Or just remember that a carry gun is made to be used at 10 yards or less where you basically don't even need sights.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hi-Power sights

Thank you. This is the kind of info that I need to know. I'm going to be mulling this over today and see what develops. I also have another Hi-Power that is 100% untouched nazi marked that will stay that way of course.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I personally would keep it the way it is, but if you do decide to change sights, the rear dovetail can be opened up by your gunsmith for most current aftermarket sights. The front sight will however have to be replaced with a staked sight blade, as there is not enough meat on the slide for a dovetail. The barrel bushing is also a screw-in bushing and even a very shallow dovetail would cut into and through the bushing. I have repaired a few Hi-Power slides in the past where someone has tried to dovetail the front of the slide for new sights. Repairs are not cheap and neither is a new slide at over $400.

Jim...............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hi-Power sights

Thanks for that info. I think I'll try some white epoxy paint on the present sights for a while and see if that helps make them more visible.