Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Shooter

I got interested in shooting, so took a local two part class on the basics that started in the classroom and ended on the range. In between I stopped by the gun shop to get a gun. I ended up with a S&W MP9; in part because one of the backstraps made the gun feel fantastic in my hand; in part because the salesman strongly endorsed it even over more expensive items. (Which maybe means he really like it, or maybe means that he got more commission on a cheaper item.)

I'm a horrible shot, but the gun seems fine. No jams, recoil seems totally benign. The trigger reset had an odd two stage feel at first, but seems to have smoothed out in the first 200 rounds fired through the gun.

I just need to get better hearing protection or get used to all the loud noises involved in shooting. Makes me jump and with live rounds I'm still milking the gun half the time in anticipation of the loud bang; even though dry firing I'm rock solid. As a side note, I can also endorse exercises with fake training rounds to expose one's mistakes with live ammunition as well as a good instructor for identifying one's problems.

Anyway, was looking around on the web and found you folks. Wanted to stop in and give a new person's impression of the MP9. Seems to shoot bullets just fine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

M&P's are great guns. Looks like you have a winner there.

What kind of hearing protection are you using now?

When you get a chance, we have an introductions forum. You can visit there and let us get to know you better if you'd like. Welcome to FTF!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Drop in to the Introduction section and say hi.

Take a look at this for great, comfortable ear protection:

BPI Natural Earplugs

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
M&P's are great guns. Looks like you have a winner there.
What kind of hearing protection are you using now?
I'm using an NRR thirty headset. Part of it is just me. Loud noises have always made me jump. I expect that regular time on the range will cure me of that. But I'm also going to double up and start using ear plugs as well. I can't see where it will hurt.

Thanks for the pointer to the intro forum. Intro posted.

Thanks for the pointer to the BPI ear plugs. I'll get some on order to give them a try.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What type of ammo are you using and at what distance?

Some folks here have helped improve my accuracy greatly with their helpful tips.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats, you did chose a good pistol. It is one of my favorite in a polly frame. Practice is the key along with some instruction for a new shooter. Two things I would suggest to get your shots in a tighter group, only load five rounds in the mag, this gives you five reference shots to review what isn't working while you reload the mag. Many shooters tend to send a lot of rounds down range with out checking the results and adjusting. Second use a target like this to discover what's not working with your mechanics. Good luck

training-target.jpg  

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

You shooting at an indoor or outdoor range? The -BOOMS- arent quite as impressive at an outdoor range. Beyond that just keep on trucking and eventually it wont bother you as much.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

All good advice. When I'm at the range with a partner, I have them load up 5 rounds and 2 training fakes. When I'm by myself, I fire sets of 5 just as you describe. Shoot 5, look at the 5. Figure out what I'm going to try to adjust. Shoot 5, etc.

I'm low left, so it's all about trigger control and moving the gun as I'm pulling the trigger. The fakes just make it crystal clear. Me dry firing the gun, no movement. Me hitting a fake, gun moves as I tighten up.

More practice required.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

M&P is an excellent choice.

I would recommend signing up for an advanced shooting school before bad habits set in.

Always wear hearing protection. I didn't when much younger, and now only have about half of the hearing the Good Lord gave me.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
M&P is an excellent choice.
It seems perfectly good. 9mm seems to be a good 'middle of the road' cartridge. The gun gets strong reviews. The changeable backstraps give me a chance to change the feel if my view of what's important changes. I certainly like firing it, though I will like it more when I stop getting an adrenaline rush from shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
I would recommend signing up for an advanced shooting school before bad habits set in.
I think that's right. Given that the first time I ever fired a gun was a week ago, I'm going to try to get to the range a few more times and correct the problems I know about and then go back for more instruction. I'm not so sure if I'm interested in the 'next class' or a 'repeat class' or just some private instruction from a gun coach for an hour or two. I guess the choice will swing on whether or not I am able to fix the problems I know about myself. If I can get to a grouping with which I'm satisfied then I'll probably go for 'next class'. If not, private instruction or repeat class.