Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New S&W - Any thoughts?

View Poll Results: S&W Sigma Series
Good Gun 8 66.67%
Bad Gun 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New S&W - Any thoughts?

I just got an early Christmas present from the wife. A new S&W sw9ve 9mm. I have been looking for a good carry gun and fell in love with it. I know the trigger is stiff, but thats why I wanted it. I was always afraid to carry a glock because im afraid that in a scary situation, id pull that light trigger before I got to point of aim. With the Sigma, there is no pulling the trigger unless you mean to! Also, I always had hammer fired semi-autos. I just thought that with a sigma, the simpler the better for carry.

Any first hand experience with sigmas and quality thoughts? Thanks

Mossberg 835 3.5 inch, 24inch ported, Knoxx Stock
Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22
Bergo .22 revolver - handed down from Great Grandpa
Chinese SKS Matching Numbers with all extras

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I rented the Sigma and a bunch of other guns.....didn't shoot well with the Sigma, didn't "feel" good in my hands, I wasn't a fan of the stiff trigger.....I did shoot well with the Glock and the M&P....I'm with you the lack of safety on the Glock bothered me (as a newbie to carrying) and the M&P felt better in my hand and it had a safety.....but in the end it really is all about what feels good to you......the guy at my local gun shop did feel that the Sigma was a reliable gun, but a real basic, no frills gun that "is what it is" and don't expect to swap out any parts for something better

Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #3

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have not shot one but have heard only good comments for a entry level pistol.

Good luck with it and lets see some eye candy and of course, a range report.

Check out Jeff Quinn's review:

Smith & Wesson’s Improved Sigma 9mm Auto

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Treat your wife well. She seems like a good person for getting you a gift like that.

I owned a Sigma .40 caliber for awhile, and I never had any issues with it. The trigger will smoothen out a little (just a little) after your shoot about 300-500 rounds through it. There is a way to lighten the trigger up right away that is pretty simple, but I would suggest a gunsmith do it.

I never had any malfunctions with my Sigma. The design is pretty much the same as a Glock (except the trigger assembly), so you can expect some good reliability out of it.

If anything, treasure it because since it's a gift from your loved one it should have some good sentimental value to it.

Congrats on your early Christmas present.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. From what I see, the Sigma is a brick that just works. I like the stiff trigger (as a safety), and IMO - In a bad guy stressed situation, your aiming at the range/target skills go out the door and natural point comes in to play. Thats why I feel that night sights are less important. The Sigma, to me, has the most natural point of aim on a draw.

Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22

Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They're a decent pistol, reliable and always go bang. Enjoy it and thank your wife.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

They're not top of the line by any means, but they're good guns and feel so much better in your hand than a glock.
I own the SW40VE Sigma and love it. It has become my primary carry at work gun.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #8

Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22

Old 11-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A godd pistol over all for home defense and a good place to start if your getting into shooting or plan to carry at some point. Sounds like you have a wonderful wife.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #10

Finally got a pic of the early christmas present. I will now attempt to do a review:

First thoughts are that it feels perfect in hand. The grip angle and contours are great. It points better than the 1911 styles I am used to. This is my first striker fired gun also. Takedown is as simple as it gets. Cleaning is a breeze. Very few parts to disassemble. With a loaded mag, weight is very easy to carry.

I shot 50 rounds out of it today. Needless to say, it went Bang every time (and some really fast). Accuracy (mind you im not the greatest shot) is on the bad side. My thoughts is that it is the trigger being soooo stiff and heavy. I truley think with daily practice and old Army dime drills, this will improve. I think with being used to the trigger, the gun will be more accurate than me. Recoil is light. I fired 115gr wwb fmj's, wwb 147gr jhp's, and federal hishok 124gr jhp's. All went bang.

It conceals a LOT better than I thought it would being full sized. With the holster I got, it has good canter and doesnt print very much (and I am only 5'8" and 175lbs).

I was able to concentrate, manage trigger pull, take my time and get 5" groupings at about 28 feet. Which, for all intents and purposes is a good start for what it is.

I would recommend this gun, and will be buying a second. At $319 and a $50 rebate, you cant beat it. Im going to stock up on 9mm ammo and Sigmas.

I also found out today that a S&W warranty guy will do a warrantied trigger job free of charge and shipping. Results bring it to about a smooth 7.5lbs vs. the 10 or so its at.

Ruger SR9c
XD 9mm 5"
Marlin 30-30
Marlin Model 60 .22