Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   New S&W - Any thoughts? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/new-s-w-any-thoughts-20065/)

jps37033 11-14-2009 02:08 AM

New S&W - Any thoughts?

I just got an early Christmas present from the wife. A new S&W sw9ve 9mm. I have been looking for a good carry gun and fell in love with it. I know the trigger is stiff, but thats why I wanted it. I was always afraid to carry a glock because im afraid that in a scary situation, id pull that light trigger before I got to point of aim. With the Sigma, there is no pulling the trigger unless you mean to! Also, I always had hammer fired semi-autos. I just thought that with a sigma, the simpler the better for carry.

Any first hand experience with sigmas and quality thoughts? Thanks

DrJason 11-14-2009 02:31 AM

I rented the Sigma and a bunch of other guns.....didn't shoot well with the Sigma, didn't "feel" good in my hands, I wasn't a fan of the stiff trigger.....I did shoot well with the Glock and the M&P....I'm with you the lack of safety on the Glock bothered me (as a newbie to carrying) and the M&P felt better in my hand and it had a safety.....but in the end it really is all about what feels good to you......the guy at my local gun shop did feel that the Sigma was a reliable gun, but a real basic, no frills gun that "is what it is" and don't expect to swap out any parts for something better

canebrake 11-14-2009 02:51 AM

I have not shot one but have heard only good comments for a entry level pistol.

Good luck with it and lets see some eye candy and of course, a range report.

Check out Jeff Quinn's review:

Smith & Wesson’s Improved Sigma 9mm Auto

SGT-MILLER 11-14-2009 02:53 AM

Treat your wife well. She seems like a good person for getting you a gift like that.

I owned a Sigma .40 caliber for awhile, and I never had any issues with it. The trigger will smoothen out a little (just a little) after your shoot about 300-500 rounds through it. There is a way to lighten the trigger up right away that is pretty simple, but I would suggest a gunsmith do it.

I never had any malfunctions with my Sigma. The design is pretty much the same as a Glock (except the trigger assembly), so you can expect some good reliability out of it.

If anything, treasure it because since it's a gift from your loved one it should have some good sentimental value to it.

Congrats on your early Christmas present.

jps37033 11-14-2009 02:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. From what I see, the Sigma is a brick that just works. I like the stiff trigger (as a safety), and IMO - In a bad guy stressed situation, your aiming at the range/target skills go out the door and natural point comes in to play. Thats why I feel that night sights are less important. The Sigma, to me, has the most natural point of aim on a draw.

CA357 11-14-2009 05:29 AM

They're a decent pistol, reliable and always go bang. Enjoy it and thank your wife. ;)

General_lee 11-14-2009 12:59 PM

They're not top of the line by any means, but they're good guns and feel so much better in your hand than a glock.
I own the SW40VE Sigma and love it. It has become my primary carry at work gun.

jps37033 11-15-2009 02:13 AM

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...3/SANY0175.jpg

WDB 11-15-2009 02:21 AM

A godd pistol over all for home defense and a good place to start if your getting into shooting or plan to carry at some point. Sounds like you have a wonderful wife.

jps37033 11-15-2009 02:21 AM

Finally got a pic of the early christmas present. I will now attempt to do a review:

First thoughts are that it feels perfect in hand. The grip angle and contours are great. It points better than the 1911 styles I am used to. This is my first striker fired gun also. Takedown is as simple as it gets. Cleaning is a breeze. Very few parts to disassemble. With a loaded mag, weight is very easy to carry.

I shot 50 rounds out of it today. Needless to say, it went Bang every time (and some really fast). Accuracy (mind you im not the greatest shot) is on the bad side. My thoughts is that it is the trigger being soooo stiff and heavy. I truley think with daily practice and old Army dime drills, this will improve. I think with being used to the trigger, the gun will be more accurate than me. Recoil is light. I fired 115gr wwb fmj's, wwb 147gr jhp's, and federal hishok 124gr jhp's. All went bang.

It conceals a LOT better than I thought it would being full sized. With the holster I got, it has good canter and doesnt print very much (and I am only 5'8" and 175lbs).

I was able to concentrate, manage trigger pull, take my time and get 5" groupings at about 28 feet. Which, for all intents and purposes is a good start for what it is.

I would recommend this gun, and will be buying a second. At $319 and a $50 rebate, you cant beat it. Im going to stock up on 9mm ammo and Sigmas.

I also found out today that a S&W warranty guy will do a warrantied trigger job free of charge and shipping. Results bring it to about a smooth 7.5lbs vs. the 10 or so its at.