New Ruger LCP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > New Ruger LCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Default New Ruger LCP

after doing some experimenting in how difficult or easy an OWB or IWB handgun can be spotted i wasnt satisfied with the results and decided to see what i had in the gun safe for in the pocket carry. what works great in my dress pants (bersa thunder) doesnt cut it for blue jeans or my work clothes.

so i went to my LGS and started looking around for the smallest lightest 380 i could find. of course the ruger lcp was top of that list. i dont care much for the capacity or the DAO action but the first rule of a gunfight and selfdefense is have a freekin gun.

they had a sig copy of the colt mustang but its too big for my needs and i dont trust a frame mounted safety in the cocked and locked in my pocket even in a pocket holster. space is JUST too tight.

my lgs had one with a laser in black and one without in stainless silverish color. i like black guns for defensive carry so i picked up the one with the lasermax. ill try out the laser for yucks but its likely going to end up being sold or traded off.

so monday i go pick it up and now i just need to find a decent in the pocket holster. while im no fan of ultra small guns i do understand the need for being discrete. even though wisconsin is an open carry carry state sometimes discretion is the better method especially when visiting liberal hot spots.

so when i get it to the range ill give it an honest wringing out and post my thoughts and opinions on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Cool...look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Definitely a nice little piece to add to the collection. I've heard some good things from my customers who have LCPs, congrats!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

You can't go wrong with a Ruger LCP .380. I have one as a backup but use primarily for quick trips hither and thither with beltless shorts and t shirts. Lil' Canon is what I think they are.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

I have the lc9 and I use a Blackhawk pocket holster for it. It works flawlessly and I am sure they make one for the LCp

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 195

It's my most hated firearm, and #2 on the list of firearms I carry

Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Carry my LCP with Armalaser every day of my life. DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster or Remora p.h. with mag carrier, depending on the pants, or an inside-the-pants Cell Pal rig on special occasions. I use Federal Hydra-Shok and nothing else. I sincerely hope I never have to use it, but I'm prepared to if the need arises.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

picked up the lcp today. after spending some quality time taking it apart, dry firing, and operating it sans ammo, im pretty impressed with the quality of fit and finish that ruger put into such a cheap pocket rocket.

i like the unobtrusive loaded chamber indicator. the lack of a magazine safety is great. i do wish they had of included an automatic last shot slide hold open. its the one major braindead fail on this little ruger.

trigger does not stack like a typical da or dao trigger and is very predictable with the same long heavy pull for each shot. i think ruger could have done a little better in mag design and stuffed in one more round with a scootch more dev time.

i love the extreme low profile sights. im a huge believer in sights being irrelevent in a rapid self defense shooting but i like something there if you should need to conduct aimed fire. having them as nonadjustable part of the slide is a huge plus in this type of pistol.

i didnt have time today to actually shoot it. that is for next weekend. its a generic black ruger lcp pics of the gun and targets will be had next weekend

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #9

Hey, any advice on good/cheap clean 9mm ammo. Getting a ruger p95 , and dont want to put crap in it.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic8292 View Post
Hey, any advice on good/cheap clean 9mm ammo. Getting a ruger p95 , and dont want to put crap in it.
Try starting a post in the ammunition and reloading subsection a little further down. I dont think there is any corrosive 9mm ammo out there. I reload my own 9mm. I would stay away from pmc as they have had some real issues of late with out of spec loadings.